Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1

I just had a conversation with the owner of Nikon dealership here in BC who claims to know personally the President of Nikon (Nikon Canada or USA I presume). The interesting facts which emerged from the conversation were:

1) Nikon will not be producing a full frame dSLR anytime soon (I think he used the word never but never is a long time). Nikon is investing in its DX lenses for the current sensor sizes with new models on their way.

2) The D2X will be unveiled at Photokina 2004 in October. It will feature a sub-35mm size sensor or around 10 to 11 megapixels.

He was very specific about the first point and I have no reason to disbelieve him - he is a long standing Nikon dealership.

Has anyone else heard anything similar ? I was getting close to buying a D2H but I am inclined to hang on for the sake of four more months. (He knows I was close to buying a D2H and he had one on the shelf!)
krusadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:32 PM   #2

...so what's news? same thing they said since September of last year.

believe it when you see it...:roll:

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:56 PM   #3

Do you believe it?

Aside from the D2X news, I personally find it hard to believe that Nikon wouldn't move to full frame to meet Canon and Kodak head on. All else being equal, such as pixel count, a larger sensor will always produce less noise/allow shooting at higher ISO. Why not use the largest sensor that will work with the lens mount aperture? Not going beyond an APS size sensor in a 35mm body just doesn't make any sense to me now that the technology/price of sensors is here. I just can't see why Nikon would allow itself to be a second tier player in the pro dSLR market.

If this is the case - and all my Nikon lenses and SB-26 will be of reduced functionality (I own all premium F2.8 Nikon glass - I am not delighted that my expensive 20mm is now a cheap 30 mm) would I not be better off moving to Canon and get into full frame?

Old Jun 4, 2004, 2:03 PM   #4

Yada yada yada...

Of course the D2x is coming. Its not a matter of "IF", its a matter of "WHEN".

krusadr,

Nikon has stated many times that they are staying with the APS sized sensor. They have invested alot into the DX series lenses and the LBCAST sensor. Your lenses will not be "cheapened" by the change. But you may need to buy a new wide angle lens, worst case. Your SB-26 is already obsolete in the dSLR world. If you want, full frame you can still buy a KodakProor Fuji S2. If they don't suffice, you may be buying Canon... until Canon does something to piss you off. :P
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 2:37 PM   #5

Lol, and there was me thinking I had such great info ! I had only read various speculative posts on the subject and didn't realise that it was pretty much a given. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 4:48 PM   #6

Actually , I expected the D2X from Nikon right at the time Canon released the 1Ds last year, but nothing happens, same thing when Canon put out the 10D, we hope Nikon will answer with the D200, and what did Canon react when Nikon put out the D2H, the D1 Mark II.

It's the facts that Nikon did make commitment on their DX lenses to match theirAPS sensor, the lens is smaller, more compact, less middle lens elements, but it didn't get any cheaper. Look at the new AF-S 17-55mm DX F/2.8, street price is almost the same with the previous AF-S 17-35mm F/2.8D, but ...folks, this little burger is selling like a pancake.

Too many speculations and it has been quite sometimes. Nikon still need to fill their holes with the expected D2X and the D200. Do I consider the Kodak or Fuji S3, nope...not a chance. Both of them are not Nikon cameras, just have the lens mount, the Fuji is too cumbersome, on the other side, the Kodak camera is slower than earth.

Cheers:!:

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 3:15 AM   #7

Better late than never I suppose. Even though all this is still speculation at this stage. 10-11MP to tackle the (now aging) 1Ds, Canon probably has a counter-punch mark 2 1Ds at Fotokina too.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:43 AM   #8
DBB

Well I used to nagree with the critics of the 1.5x snesor. But I've since changed my mind.

Nikon's release of special glass for their digital series makes available wide angle. Meanwhile, existing glass is given a telephoto equivalent boast - at no extra charge

The arguement about noise is true as far as it goes. All things beiing equal...

However we shall have to wait to see if all things are equal. Certainly I'm looking for a new camera with more resolution. But I adore the D1x - I've never had such an easy time changing my set-up in such a short time for changing conditions. Service has been excellent. I've had two problems requirinig service, in the first, the camera was professionally repaired - In the second, the camera had another unrelated problem -which was quickly repaired for free.

Dave

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 4:08 AM   #9

:-) The D2x will have a 1:1,3 sensor and according the reseller it will be a mark II and 1D killer. If Nikon is intime we will see this all at the olympics.
And i hope that they will bring some nice lenses too.

cheers
Hermen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:08 PM   #10

Hermen wrote:
Quote:
according the reseller it will be a mark II and 1D killer.
Does that mean this is going to be a fast/high frame rate camera too ? Likea higher resolution version of the D2H?

That would be impressive, 10-11mp @ 8fps :-)

Although if we're honest I think Nikon needs something like this to leapfrog canon at the moment, as Canon currently beat Nikon in all areas of DSLR market (1Dmk2 and 1Ds)with exception of entry level.(and even there the 300D isnt miles off the mark)
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote