Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2004, 12:41 AM   #1

Got a problem. In the market for a dslr. which one d-70 d-100. Some say d-70 is a entry level camera. But with all the options, how can this camera be consider entry level. what makes d-100 a pro level . please help, all input would be great to hear
thanks in advance
dutch myers
dutch myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:51 AM   #2

The D100 has a better body built material, better magnification viewfinder than the D70, a thread for the cable realease, backward compatible with most Nikon speed-lite flashes (D70 only works with SB800 and 600 DX for I-TTL, SB-28 for auto, most of others in manual mode) and it made in Japan, it also has the optinal battery grip (D70 doesn't have this option). The D100 does not get in to the pro-category, semi-pro or mid-level users to be exact, pro-level Nikon DSLRs are D1x, D1H, D2H.

D70 is an exellent entry level camera, it has so many advanced features and options that comparable to the mid level cameras, better than the Canon DRebel, don't feel bad about getting one, if fact, it actually feel better in your hand and very good quality built also.:-)
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 9:04 PM   #3

Tuanokc is right in everything he/she says, I own a D70 and and F5. The only thing I miss is the cable release. I have a friend who owns a D100, no problems. If I had it to do all over again, I'd still buy the D70. This camera is an incredible value, and I think the term "entry level" is perhaps NOT appropriate. Just check out all the "entry level" posts on the forums, most of the folks moving up from P&S, or more automatic cameras are, to one degree or another, lost.

I'm surprised Nikon has not started DEEP discounts on the D100. A fine camera, but superceded by the D70.
Delos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:02 AM   #4

When I said Nikon D70 in the "entry level" D-SLR, I mean it's a entry level D-SLR from the Nikon line up. It has the lowest price in the Nikon DSLR family (D70, D100, Dsh, D1X). In addition, Nikon said; the D100 is still their mid-level DSLR and has no intend of replace it with the D70 or even attempt to low-er the D100's price. I wasn't intend to comapre it to any P/S digicam level, if we compare to other brand's entry level D-SLR s, D70 is proven to be one of the best in its class and its performance and speed has already surpassed the Fuji S2 pro (cost twice that much), and it forced Canon to work hard to release the new improve Canon Digital Rebel II soon.

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote