Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2004, 8:30 PM   #1

I need help choosing :?
1) Nikon D70 or D100

2) Purchasing kit (with lens) or just the body.

I already have a Nikon N70 and several lenses for it , left over from an N50 (I think) thatI had before. The lenses are the Nikkor AF 70 -210 mm1:4-5.6, AF 35 - 70 mm 1:3. 3 - 4.5 , AF 50 mm 1:1.8 and a Kenko N-AFd 2x teleplus.

I'd like to buy a Nikon sinceI already have these lenses (and hope that they will all work with the digital SLR)
I don't think I'm a novice at taking pictures since I started with manual 35mm cameras and light meters 30+ years ago. But I'm a long, long way away from being any kind of an authority. I currently have an Olympus C - 2100 Ultra Zoom, whichI have used for the past 3 years or so (and dispise the viewfinder). Most of the pictures that I take are of wildlife (mostly birds), but would also like to help my wife unload some of her huge collection of figurines on E-Bay (soI would like to take close ups as well).
I'm wondering ifitwould befoolish of me to consider spending the extra money on the D100and using the lensesI already have ?

Would the lens that comes in the D70 kit be a better investment than buying the D100?

Should I just buy the D70 body and use the lenses that I already have?

One last question - are the prices likely to come down much before the fall when I'll get to go on vacation and do most of my wildlife photography?

Thanks
johnsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2004, 10:00 PM   #2

As far as lenses, one thing to keep in mind with your current selection is you'll have no wide angle. The 35-70 becomes about a 52-105 with the 1.5 factor, so if you need anything approaching a wide angle you would need to consider a lens like the 18-70. For macro, many people seem to like the Sigma APO Super II 70-300 Macro, which would work for your wildlife stuff.

As far as the cameras, I haven't used or even held a D100 so I couldn't tell you anything from personal experience. I've held a couple of D70s and really liked them so I ordered one. In addition to reading reviews and forums about both, you could also see if a local camera or electronics store has them in stock so you can see which feels better. The D70 is selling like hotcakes, so I wouldn't expect discounts for a while. The D100 could easily be a different story.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 5:43 PM   #3

Thanks for your help!

I put my name on a waiting list fora D70at a nearby ritz camera store. I think I'll go with the Nikon lens kit package.

Looks like any place cheaper is probably not legit - at least ritz is offering 0% interest for a year if you get one of their credit cards
Old Jun 10, 2004, 5:52 PM   #4

go here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=58

both www.normancamera.com and www.cooterscamera.com have them in stock, D70 with the lens kit $1,299. Cooters camera storeout of Dallas offers free ground shipping, they also have the D70 body only for $969, $30 lower than any competition, great store, reliable and quick shipping.

Cheers

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 5:35 PM   #5

Well - I went to Ritz camera to pick up the D70 that they reserved for me.

I was all set to buy it when I made the mistake of asking the clerk about the D70 vs the D100. He told me that he had seen (4) D70s returned in the last couple of weeks. Said that they had a problem with the focusing mechanism. He thought the overall costruction of the D100 was better. To make a long story short -I left with the D100 and a Quantaray 18 - 50mm lens. Spent abot $350 more thanI had planned to. I've only taken about 10 pictures so far so time will tell :-)