Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2004, 9:27 AM   #1

According to this link,the Canon rebel/300D has a firmware upgrade available that opens up a few extra features including mirror lock up...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=37

Does anyone think Nikon might have something similar up their sleeve for the D70, seen as it has the MLU ability for the dust reference photo ?

Other extra features that seem to have been unlocked in the Canon seem unimportant, such as ISO 3200, but MLU would be nice :-)

jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 10:36 AM   #2

The problem with this firmware is that it is not Canon issued. It is a hacked version to allow the Digital Rebel to use some of the features that were dumbed-out of the 10D for this camera.

Nikon may unlock some things in a new firmware, but it may be awhile before that happens as the camera has only been out a month. The D100 became available between May and July 2002 and the first and only firmware update was released in October 2002.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:58 PM   #3

From your post, it seems that you want Nikon to release a firmware update to enable mirror lock up. If this is the main reason you would like a firmware update, it is unnecessary, as the D70 already has that feature accessible from the setup menu (page 162 in the owners manual).
rschnoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2004, 1:28 AM   #4

the MLU for the D70 disables shooting though right? That is the way i understand it...use for cleaning and inspection???
DanielM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:46 AM   #5

rschnoor wrote:
Quote:
From your post, it seems that you want Nikon to release a firmware update to enable mirror lock up. If this is the main reason you would like a firmware update, it is unnecessary, as the D70 already has that feature accessible from the setup menu (page 162 in the owners manual).

I have just been and tried this and DanielM3 is correct, if you lock up the mirror you are unable to take a photo

Page 162 states "Mirror Lock-Up: This option is used to lock the mirror in the up position to allow inspection or cleaning of the low pass filterthat protects the CCD image sensor" Doesn't mention shooting at all with mirror up. Oh well.

My original line of thought was that if the D70 has the physical ability to do this, in theory i guess all it requires is a firmware update to allow this to take shots in this mode? (I'm guessing here but it seems the Canon Rebel has been able to achieve it)

Like Dcrawley suggested, I guess this is still unlikely though while Nikon try to sell remaining D100's at a profitable price, just as the firmware for the Rebel appears not to be from Canon, as Canon want to protect sales of the 10D.

End of my waffle now anyway. :-):yawn:
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 5:35 PM   #6

Iunderstand that the D70 has a setting which delays the triggering of the shutter for a small time after the mirror has been raised which has much the same efect as mirror lock-up i.e. any vibration has time to die-out. Is this correct? For most users this would be a better way of avoiding mirror shake - only a few would need to be able to lock the mirror up and then take instant photos bearing in mind that with the mirror locked up you cannot frame the shot but must aim on a rough and ready basis.

Is it correct that the D70 has this function?

Kiwipat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 4:48 PM   #7

Kiwipat wrote:
Quote:
Iunderstand that the D70 has a setting which delays the triggering of the shutter for a small time after the mirror has been raised which has much the same efect as mirror lock-up i.e. any vibration has time to die-out. Is this correct? For most users this would be a better way of avoiding mirror shake - only a few would need to be able to lock the mirror up and then take instant photos bearing in mind that with the mirror locked up you cannot frame the shot but must aim on a rough and ready basis.

Is it correct that the D70 has this function?

Nope! Until a firmware upgrade is made available, there is no way to lock-up the mirror prior to imaging, nor is there any sort of *delay* mechanism.
Delos is offline   Reply With Quote