Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 19, 2004, 3:22 PM   #1

I have ordered the D70 after much thought, with the 70/200 F2.8 VRIFED and the same in 24/120. I would like some feedback on the pro's and cons of the teleconverters please. I see often the 1.4 and the 2.0 for sale, but has anyone any experience of the 1.7 which seems to be quite rare. My use for the converter will be motor racing, thus some loss of F stop, but much cheaper than a real 300/400 lens. Also, which flash would you recommend to go with it please?

Hoping you'll help me out here
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2004, 5:44 PM   #2

This is something I also would be interested to learn more about, useful for the bits of sports photography I do now and again...

I understand they knock the aperture down a couple of stops, but for cricket (only played in fairly bright conditions anyway) I think one might be useful.

Also, has anyone any experience with the kenco brand as opposed to Nikon?
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:06 AM   #3

A general word of caution which applies to all teleconverters: Most units seriously degrade image quality, so should be used only when absolutely needed. Never, ever, add a converter to a zoom lens! Poor results are virtually guaranteed to occur.

Have a read of the full thing here:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_converter.html

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:25 AM   #4

Thankyou Onyx, your comments are much appreciated.Just wish I had the means to buy the 400mm F2.8 at £5,000! I have read the column you supplied, and spoken to my suppliers, Gray's of Westminster, who have already assured me that the new converter Mk 2 will work well with the 70/200, both in 1.4 and 2X. I place 100% confidence in their advice!I just wanted to hear from people who have actual experience, perhaps with this camera even. Hoping someone out there can oblige!
Old Jun 21, 2004, 4:30 AM   #5

^^ NB: those were not my words! They're harsh and very anti-teleconverters IMO. I was merely quoting the article.

But they have reviewed all Nikon converters and found the E versions (with support for SWM - ie. AF-S lenses) to have high ratings. Plus, I think all new Nikon converters today are E types, so you shouldn't have problems with it on a 70-200.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 3:18 AM   #6

May I thank you Onyx for introducing me to the Thom Hogan site. I got so interested that I started reading most of his reviews, and found the answer I was seeking stated in a most unequivocal fashion.

Go to http://www.bythom.com/70200VRlens.htm

He uses the 70/200 F2.8 with both teleconverters and heartily recommends them. Once again, thank you for your interest and help
Old Jun 22, 2004, 6:52 AM   #7

Thanks Onyx thats a great reference :-)

When he discusses loss of sharpness/definition/pincushion/abberation etc in the corners, does that refer to a 35mm frame? or the APS-c sensor he mentions at the top which crops off such poorer areas?

If so,and you can get away with more with a DSLR, so do some of the harsh comments about corner problems still apply?
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote