Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:14 PM   #1

Here's my dilemna (not major, but something I am seriously considering):

A co-worker is trying to get into photography and his budget is up to $1100. I suggested that if he is serious about it then to get the 300D, 2 lenses, compact flash, and warranty. He doesn't know much about cameras and nothing about digital SLR's (hence his impossible budget of $1100). I had the thought that if I sold him my 300D, 15-55 lens, 55-200 lens, and sold it to him for roughly $1100, then he would get a deal and I could get a D70 (I prefer Nikon).

My dilemna is if its worth selling my 300D. While cost shouldn't be a factor, it eventually always is. The D70 body is $1000 and I'd need to lens equivalents of 28mm-70/80mm and 70/80mm-200/300mm. Nothing high-end, something that is affordable and does the job well.

I fall into the amateur photographer so specific details about lens technology goes over my head. As long as I can take a nice shot with the lens and be relatively cheap, then I'd be satisfied. Note that the lenses for my 300D were the cheaper ones specifically made for the 300D.

So my question is a two-parter: Should I sell my 300D in order to get a D70 kit (w/ 2 lenses) which I'm estimating total cost to be ~$2000. If so, which affordable lenses should I get? I'm not willing to spend $300+ on lenses just yet. Maybe later, but not now.

Attached is a sample of a shot I took in Australia with my 300D
Attached Images

calvinboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:38 PM   #2

Should you sell your 300D, you can buy the D70 outfit (which includes an 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G low-dispersion, internal focusingglass lens; 27-105mm after the 1.5 multiplier) and the Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G Nikkor lens (not a low-dispersion glass). The 70-300 G (105-450 after multiplier) is about $120-150 USD and the kit is about $1299 USD.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 8:02 AM   #3

I too have the 2 lenses dcrawley mentions, and they are both more than good enough for getting started and more. The 70-300mm is a little bit soft at 300mm, and I seem to get purple fringing in areas with high contrast, though for the money this is more than acceptable, and imho still better than any fixed lens or point and shoot digicam!

Having felt both the cameras, the D70 feels a lot more substantial, solid and well built than the 300d to me, and this also goes for the kit lenses too. Your plan sounds a good one to me but then having a D70 myself i'm probably biased :-)

Here's some pics I took with 70-300mm lens mentioned...

Attached Images

jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 1:36 AM   #4

jimbojetset - The picture you posted was taken with this Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 G lens? The one for under $200 US?

I was worried that a lens for that price would be really terrible quality but nothing bad jumps ( pardon the pun ) out at me in that shot. Are you able to post a shot with what you would consider the worst case of purple-fringing you've seen with the lens? That'd really help me out

Thanks,
PW.
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 6:04 AM   #5

I'll put some in a new thread PlatinumWeaver. Jim

(sorry, yes is it is the lens you say, I paid £70 second user)
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote