Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:20 PM   #1

Hi all,

Igave backmy DREBEL and got D70.Therefore I will send my post here from now on

as my first impressions ;D70 looks greater and faster than rebel.(also a bit bigger)

it takes good photos but I should say that the auto modes of thiscamera(auto,portrait,landscape etc.)are awful.Bad auto white balance,bad flash exposure.You have to adjust the everything on the camera yourself.When you adjusted all the settings it takes good photos.I wonder that why nikon made a very bad auto mode for this camera?Ok,we dont use the auto modes but do they have to be so bad?

I think it can be corrected with a new firmware update.Do you think so?
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2004, 11:13 PM   #2

I'm surprised by your comments of inferior auto & digital vari-program images from the D70. I can recall fellow forum member coedfun had initial disapointments from the camera possibly due to the same issue... I don't know. I've had my camera for a while and have yet to try out the "idiot modes", so I'll see if I can replicate this inferiority one day.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:24 AM   #3

The only vari-program I've tried is the sports one, and soon gave that up as you have no access to spot or centre weighted metering in any of the vari-programs...

As regards a firmware update there was a thread earlier regarding this suggesting maybe in the 4th quarter, though I dunno if this was genuine or not? People certainly had suspicions.

Have fun with you new kit Civil, you made a good decision

Jim
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 9:33 AM   #4

Thanks jimbojetset,

I'm pleased with d70 for the present.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 3:38 PM   #5

jimbojetset wrote:
As regards a firmware update there was a thread earlier regarding this suggesting maybe in the 4th quarter, though I dunno if this was genuine or not? People certainly had suspicions.

I would assumed it's fake simply because it's unusal to announce an update will be coming so far into the future. It's usually "a firmwear update is available now", simply because if they announce it will be happening in the distant future, people may wait till then to buy the "new version" of the camera.

MrPogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:33 PM   #6

When I bought my D-70 all I did at first is shoot in idiot mode and I must say that I just loved the results esp. landscape mode. Crisp,clean,great shots. I've got the firmware update but was taking great point & shoot pics before I did the upgrade. Makes me wonder if I have the same camera when I listen to some of these posts. Maybe I should stop sleeping with my D-70.
muee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 8:29 PM   #7

Dear Civil;

I had a D300 rebel and returned it b/c all my pictures were very under exposed. With the speedlight some of my pictures were whited out and they were still dark. The shutter was not in sync. The store told me it was operator error, that would be me. They did not want to work with me. When the D70 came out I went back to the same store, looking for more punishment and the sales rep told me that if I take the camera out I can't bring it back, no more ten day return policy. So I went to Ritz camera anddid just fine. I have had great pictures, it did take somegetting used to. I did notice it was much easier to use and of course it worked. There are still operator errors, but that is expected.

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:08 PM   #8

ive had my D70 not even a week and so far so good, i love it.

yes a bit heavier than my last, but takes great shots.cant wait til football

season!

some first shots , remember just a rookie here

http://www.pbase.com/yankees/nikon_d70_pics_2004
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 2:52 PM   #9

dear muee,

I think this is a matter of calibration.However all the d70 are not at the same calibration.However my d70 needs +0.7 exposure compansation and +0.3 flash compansation.When I set them there is no problem and it takes very good pho─▒tos.I m pleased my d70.

as I mentioned at the top I think it s a matter of calibration.

wvyankeegurl,

have fun and good luck with your d70, its a good decision.

Nadia,

thanks for your sharing.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 2:58 PM   #10

Regarding what seems to be underexposure with the D70, please go to the following website, which explains what's really going on and also shows you a better way (the use of custom tone curves) to compensate than boosting the EV:

http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/c...ne_curves.html

The site talks about the D100 but the observations (and downloadable tone curves) are equally applicable to the D70.

Also, if you do a search on "underexposure" and "custom curves" in this forum (or the other active D70 forums, such as dpreview.com) you will find more of the same information. There are many tone curves available for download.

Just to explain briefly, good digital SLRs like the D70 calibrate the default tone curve to standards which are designed to avoid blowing out highlights -- which necessitates what appears to be underexposure in the mid-range of the tone curve. (The reason for doing this is that it is far easier to bring out the detail in slightly underexposed images but often impossible to recover the detail from blown highlights.) Many of the custom tone curves available -- including fotogenetic's "white wedding curve" which many folks are now using -- boost the mid-range of the tone curve by 1/3 to 1/2 stop WITHOUT BOOSTING THE TOP OF THE CURVE. This means that you get more pleasing "in camera" apparent exposure levels without risking blowing the highlights by raising the EV alll along the curve.

Hope that helps.

AviBen
AviBen is offline   Reply With Quote