Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 29, 2004, 5:53 PM   #1

I have just received my new Nikon D70. I followed the quick start directions provided to the letter. When I push half way down on the shutter release ( to autofocus) the lens swings from 0 to infinity and stops out of focus. I have reset the camera and this did not help.

Am I missing something?

A friend of mine has a f100 which reacted the same way. It had a broken mirror, but I see nothing wrong with the d70.

Any suggestions?

lepeot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2004, 6:44 PM   #2

What lens are you using? My d-100 will do this with low light.. Try this, while it is going back and forth add a bright light shinning on the subject and see if it stops..or possibly to close to subject.. good luck Dale
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:09 PM   #3

Hi Dale,

The lens is a AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm f3.5-4.5G. This lens is designed for the d70. This condition happens in all light conditions.

Thanks for your response.

Paul

Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:26 PM   #4

There are some conditions under which the D70 (like many cameras) won't be able to focus using AF. The manual talks about that, as does one of the quick start cards that came with the camera (I believe). Try a few different items to focus on, making sure the camera body and lens are both set up for AF. Also, is the battery fully charged?
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 7:47 PM   #5

The battery is fully charged. The camera reacts the same in all focus and light conditions.

Generally, if this is a quirk of the lens or camera, autofocus is useless. I am beginning to think eitherthe lens or the body is defective.

Thank you.

Old Jun 30, 2004, 6:13 PM   #6

Can you take it to a camera shop and pop on another lens? And see if that helps.. You may be right defective camera..Good luck Dale..
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 3:14 AM   #7

Suggest you ask in the Nikon forum...since the D70 is not a newbie camera, hardly anyone who uses that camera would visit here.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 5:08 AM   #8

It does sound like a camera or lens problem - if you had just picked up the camera and set it on auto mode, it would have picked closest subject priority for AF, by which it would have at least been able to track 1 thing out of the 5 AF points.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:56 PM   #9

Thanks for the help. I sent back the camera, received a replacement and it works fine. The lens or the body must have been defective.

Paul T>