Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 2, 2004, 6:18 PM   #1

I am about to buy the D70.I 'want' itfor the opportunities a good slr offers for home creative photography.I'm consideringthe kit with the d lens and will probably purchase a tamron macro zoom.

However my wife will alsouse the camera a lot! She teaches gifted and talented students and takes many shots of their projects. As a granny - it will be for the grandkids pics and she is an avid scrapbooker. She is point and shoot ONLY!

I keep seeing indications that the D70 is not a good point and shoot. Would you mind sharing your experience using the D70 as a point & shoot.

Thanks for your help.

RonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 6:27 PM   #2

I haven't really used my D70 as point and shoot, mainly just sports. From what I've read, the camera isn't that great in 'auto' mode. Kinda makes sense, since the D70 has all sorts of things you can manually control from shutter speed to in-camera sharpening and saturation. One of the constant things I've read about the camera (and experienced personally) is underexposure of shots--it's been recommended by many to bump up EV .3 or .7; when the camera is in auto I'm not sure adjustments like that can be made.

I guess the question you would need to answer for yourself is do you guys need a DSLR, or would a P&S digital with some manual capabilities be sufficient? I determined I needed to step up from a Minolta ZI to the D70 since most of what I do is sports, and I needed the options and flexibility a DSLR offers in that regard. A camera in the Z1/Z2 class could probably fit the bill for you, but ultimately that's a decision you would have to make depending on your needs (and budget).

Hope that helps! :-)
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 8:52 PM   #3

I have owned a Sony 717 for about a year and just purchased a D70 a couple days ago. I had planned on selling my Sony, but now I realise I will be keeping it for the wife and kids. The D70 is just too big and complicated for them. It will be nice to just grab the Sony once in a while and still get great pictures.

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 9:57 PM   #4

I've my D70 a few weeks ago and love it. There are shots I can get that no P&S can give me. That being said I still use my Canon S50 for quick snapshots and simple shots but even with it I almost always use Apature mode. Which is what I use most on the D70.

IMHO the D70 can be intimidating because you can change so much and if you do the pictures can look BAD. But if you get it set the way you like it there is little you need to change from shot to shot. Too many people take it out of the box and expect to be a pro, not going to happen.:sad: Find settings that work for 90% and stick with them.

I know $ is an issue but a good P&S are not that much now and can be as easy to use as a 35mm throw a way and for what they are goodat you can get shots as good as a DSLR. Don't get into the mega pixelthinga good 3 or 4 meg will most likely be more then you need. My wife has a Minolta Z1 and takes some great shots. When she see's a shot she can't get she just pulls my D70 from meBut when I make my toy our toy it makes things easier when I look for expensive glass
goodrich62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:37 PM   #5

For once this is a case where I've budgeted more than the cost of the camera. If I were buying strictly for myself, the D70 would already be in use. I'm tempted to compromise and go with something like a CP8700. That would probably do it for the vast majority of both our pictures. I could then still use my old mechanical SLR for my 'artistic' needs. :-) Unfortunately - I wear tri-focals and it is often difficult to obtain an accurate focus. The AF is certainly something I will enjoy - if it's accurate.

But at my age and beginning a new hobby - woodworking. A good P&S is probably allwe need. But gosh - there are those moments that make a quality adjustable camera worth its price.

My wife has a very discriminating eye regarding the photos she uses. She wants Nat. Geo. sharpness - period. I tried to surprise her a Christmas and gave her a 3.2mp fuji. Ended up taking it back.

I guess if the D70 settings could be locked in that would help. Perhaps, Nikon is considering another firmware update.

I really appreciate your thoughts.

RonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 1:52 PM   #6

The D70 makes a great Point & Shoot. I made a few setting changes to include single area focus. I can put the camera in auto and hand it to my wife or kids and they take great shots. My wife has an eye for photography but doesn't have the time or desire to learn all manual settings. There have been a couple occasions where she couldn't get the shot she wanted and had me set the camera for that shot. I think it's only a matter of time before she starts choosing aperture priority and getting the results she wants. Humm, I would be in danger of loosing a camera to her. Maybe I should rethink this.

Basepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2004, 7:31 AM   #7
TC3

RonE wrote:
Quote:
For once this is a case where I've budgeted more than the cost of the camera. If I were buying strictly for myself, the D70 would already be in use. I'm tempted to compromise and go with something like a CP8700. That would probably do it for the vast majority of both our pictures. I could then still use my old mechanical SLR for my 'artistic' needs. :-) Unfortunately - I wear tri-focals and it is often difficult to obtain an accurate focus. The AF is certainly something I will enjoy - if it's accurate.

But at my age and beginning a new hobby - woodworking. A good P&S is probably allwe need. But gosh - there are those moments that make a quality adjustable camera worth its price.

My wife has a very discriminating eye regarding the photos she uses. She wants Nat. Geo. sharpness - period. I tried to surprise her a Christmas and gave her a 3.2mp fuji. Ended up taking it back.

I guess if the D70 settings could be locked in that would help. Perhaps, Nikon is considering another firmware update.

I really appreciate your thoughts.

Get a M410R by Kyocera....will keep both of you very very very happy....go check out the Kyocera forum on here as i have a few pics up...i had an slr and lenses and filters for years and then got a Sony digital camera which was very good but lacked manual control....i got the new M410R a week ago and believe me it is an excellent camera that takes great auto shots but gives you control and has a great EVF and also that LCD can be seen easily in daylight....go check it out and i will answer any questions you may have if you post em on there...then again if you want to buy a over sized D70 thats up to you
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:18 PM   #8

I've had incredible results point & shoot with the D-70. Set it on Auto/Jpeg Fine & give it to your ten year old. 80% of your shots will be great. The only problem that i have encountered is shooting dark objects at fairly close range against a very bright sky outdoors. The sky area tends to be overexposed. Shooting landscapes,portraits & flash pictures are usually wonderful. I don't know what everybody is smoking? Either that or they really don't have the camera and again are just blowing smoke. A very satisfied user.
muee is offline   Reply With Quote