Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 2, 2004, 6:33 PM   #1

One thing I've wondered about my D70 (and previously, my N60) is why there isn't a cover for the hotshoe. My Z1 had it, and I was very glad to have it while shooting sports on a somewhat cloudy day with drizzling (not dark enough to warrant using a flash). A couple of weeks ago it started to rain lightly at the race I was shooting, not enough rain to cancel the action but enough to be noticed. I ended up putting my flash on so the electrical connection on the hotshoe wouldn't shortcircuit or anything. Is there a reason why the hotshoe is left exposed, aside from the possibility of a cover being easy to lose? :?
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 7:52 PM   #2

I've never seen an SLR come with a hot shoe cover, be it Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Minolta... Here's a link so you can purchase one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=207371&is=USA

Humm, everything seems to be out of stock and/or is a special order, plus they are al costlier than the Nikon one. Here's a link for a Pentax hot shoe cover:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=237425&is=REG
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:07 PM   #3

Beg to differ on that one. My old Pentex ZX-50 has one that came with it as did my Minolta Z1. I also wondered why the D70 did not have one. I don't like having any contacts exposed to the elements.

By the way thanks for the link. I don't mind buying one now I know ther is one.
goodrich62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 8:57 AM   #4

Strangely all my Nikons and my friend's Canons and Minoltas and my sister's Pentax did not come with that cover. I just remembered however that my Olympus E-10 did come with that cover.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 11:06 AM   #5

You can get the hotshoe cover at porterscamera.com, those folks...they 're specialized in the source of things...cheap too...but really it's not gonna hurt anything if you don't want to cover it...:idea:
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote