Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 6, 2004, 12:59 AM   #1

After reading many of the reviews and comments about the D70 I have decided that I would love to have this camera. I have an older Nikon N2000 (film SLR) with a number of lenses. What I would like to know is would I be able to use those same lenses with the new D70? The lenses for the N2000 are F mount lenses so I amwondering if they might work with the D70 even if they won't necessarily be completely 100% compatible with all the auto features of the camera. I hope I'm asking this correctly. I aman amature, hobbist photographerbut am eager to learn and become more proficient in the digital age!! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :?
warntha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 1:24 AM   #2

Yes they will, every single last one of your lenses will work on a D70 (thank goodness Nikon had the foresight to design their lenses with forward compatibility in mind - unlike Canon...) However, once you get used to the electronics and auto everything from a modern digital camera - you won't have the desire to use those older lenses on it. :-)

With older manual focus lenses, you're restricted to M mode. You lose all metering capability and have to set exposure manually. With AF lenses,you mayhave metering,however if the lens does not have CPU contacts (notD or G series), you won't enjoy the functionality of the advance iTTL auto flash system - as it relies on the lens sending focus distance information to the body, and onto the flash.

Get the kit lens (18-70 AF-S DX f/3.5-4.5G) with your D70 even if you have a dozen other lenses that covers the exact same range and you intend to use one with the D70. Get the kit lens! You will not reqret it. From personal experience...

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:03 PM   #3

Thank you for your quick response. I sincerely appreciate the information and the advice. I will plan on getting the kit lens when I purchase the D70 but because I have some telephoto lenses with my N2000 I wanted to know if they'd be useable with the new camera or not. You have been very helpful and again Thanks!
warntha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 5:04 AM   #4

Yes agree. You should get the D70 with the lens.The lensis really good.

I have being using both everyday since 15 Jun. Too many things to learn and try which old Nikon lens (not D or G type)can provide.:-)

Enjoy
mercurio is offline   Reply With Quote