Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 11, 2004, 1:42 PM   #1

Hello,

My question pertains to taking photos indoors using the D70's built in flash and/or the SB-600/SB-800 flash.

PROBLEM:
I need to take hand held pictures of a wedding. I want to use D70's 'Slow Sync' setting for indoor photos to acheive the natural, color accurate appearance. However, the flash's sync would be set at 1/60th, causing potential problems with burry photos.

My other option would be to use the 'Front Sync' setting (default), using the Shutter Speed Mode for high flash sync speeds, but photos will appear with dark backgrounds, harsh lighting effects and the overall color of the image is bluish.

What flash sync setting would you recommend that I use if I need to capture indoor photos with the natural, color accurate appearance with NO blurriness?

THANK YOU!

Neil
MisterNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2004, 6:43 PM   #2

Forget the built-in flash, you'll want an external flash like the SB-800. The built-in flash is no where near as powerful, nor as flexible (can't bounce, can't direct light, etc). As for settings, I hardly ever use rear curtain or slow settings for flash indoors. It will depend on the ammount of available light, but what you can do is set your camera to Matrix metering and in P mode. Shoot once w/ flash turned off and see what the settings the camera pics, and also how bright it turns out to be. Use those settings in M mode and turn on the flash. Now you may think that shooting at f/4 and 1/40s might get you blurry images, but you have to remember that when you do flash shots you're doing double exposures in one: one for the background and one for the main subject. And also the flash pop lasts for a very short period of time, perhaps in the thousandths of a second ballpark, so it will freeze movement of your main subjects. But depending how steady your hands are, the background will be a bit blurry. Also try shooting with the SB-800's head pointing up, with its built-in bounce card up. Some of the light bounces off the card and illuminates the subject very well.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 6:48 PM   #3

marokero,

I appreciate your recent response.

I understand your point of the SB-800 being a more powerful flash.

Question, would such a flash eliminate the bluish color of my photographs. I mean, when taking pictures with the on board flash, in Front Sync mode, flesh tones are looking bluish.

Do you recommend that I change the White Balance mode from AUTO to FLASH? Would that improved the flesh tones?

Thank you,

Neil
MisterNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:12 PM   #4

Yes, change to flash white balance for its mre accurate than auto wb. I shoot a D100, but I'm not sure how the D70 is in respect to white balance adjustments; I also use cloudy wb with a "-2" bias to remove redness. This applies to the built-in flash as well.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:27 AM   #5

Front curtain sync (default flash mode):

http://dr-cbtan.fotopic.net/p4990350.html

Slow rear curtain sync:

http://dr-cbtan.fotopic.net/p4990351.html

Note, slow sync was a 3 second exposure! So unless the ambient light is sufficient to provide a hand holdable shutter speed, slow sync is definitely relegated strictly for creative use, and not normal shooting conditions.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote