Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 12, 2004, 10:47 PM   #1

Hi All,

I am currently in the market for an external flash to fit my CP5700 with one important requirement - that it will work with a D70 I plan to purchase in about a years time when I replace the 5700.

My understanding is that only the SB600 or SB800 will make full use of the D70's advanced flash functions and the earlier SB-50DX etc won't.

Would appreciate confirmation of this and also what features I would miss out on in choosing the cheaper SB600 over the SB800. Looking at the spec sheets it seems that the SB800 has slightly more flash power andcomes with more accessories than the SB600 package so a lot of the price difference is from this.

Both units have wireless control and will work to the same level with the i-TTL. Both use AA batteries too, which is another of my requirements.

So I'm thinking the SB600 will be more than adequate for my needs, are there are pro's that the SB800 has over the 600 that I've missed though?

Appreciate any comments from CP5700 or D70 users with these external flashes, or comments on cheaper units with similar functionality.

Thanks

Paul
Paul_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:40 PM   #2

Flash power is quoted in guide numbers, it's30 for the SB600 versus38 for the 800 (in metres, at ISO100). This is not "slightly more", this is HUGE! (NB: doubling distance requires four times the power to illuminate). This is also reflected in the full power recycle times for both units: the 800 it's 6 seconds without the fifth cell, for the 600 it's closer to 4 secs. Aside from this, one functional difference I can gather is that the SB600 cannot do strobic burst (repeating flash only as indicator, cannot be paired with long shutter speeds), FP high speed sync is also missing (not important if you don't intend to buy the D2H). It's also unable to be used as a master to control other groups of flashes wirelessly(not important if one external flash unit is all you're likely to need).

However the SB800 currently at twice the price of the 600 in Aust, I would recommend the 600. In the US,it's different because the cost difference is only $100.With the 800, you're paying for extras you probably won't need eg. coloured gel filter set - with digital can be done with WB setting, diffusion dome (white card rubber banded on rotated up flash works just as well).
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 8:22 PM   #3

OK, thanks heaps Onyx.

Could you provide a comparison in distance as to how far each flash might effectively light up? I know it will vary with reflectivity of the surface etc, but just an example will help a lot. The GN number is a bit beyond my understanding,as my post shows!!

I agree the prices in Australia are over the top. I will be purchasing from a webstore who is several $100's cheaper than the best local camera store.

Thanks

Paul

Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:57 PM   #4

The Guide Number is supposed to describe how far the flash could potentially reach - ie. 30 metres quoted for the SB600, 38 for the SB800.

That means in theory; if you shoot with focal length of 35mm, at 20 degrees celcius (presumably in a complete vacuum), using ISO100 and with the flash at full manual power, you're able to illuminate an object to correctly expose it at the distance described by the GN figure.

That's all very dry - but in laymans terms, I don't think there will be many occasions where you'll find even the SB600 wanting in terms of light output. The 800 has even greater reach, more power, weighs more and some extra features... how much more you're willing to pay for these extras is dependent on your budget and priorities. (PS. Cheapest price I know of for the 800 is $AU510 deliveredby HK seller based in Kensington, NSW).
Old Jul 18, 2004, 9:03 PM   #5

Hi Onyx,

OK, thanks for that info, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Sounds like the 600 will do the trick, although I do like to photograph rally stages at night and I guess every bit of power will help, thinking about how far back you can be from the cars sometimes.

Would also be very interested in your supplier! Best prices I have found so far are these, based in WA (but also sources from overseas).

Nikon SB600 AU$380

Nikon SB800 AU$575

Could you email me off forum: [email protected]

Cheers!

Paul
Old Jul 20, 2004, 4:20 AM   #6

Hey, those aren't bad prices - fairly similar to the one's I've been investigating... (it's an eb4y seller, I probably shouldn't mention name but it'll be obvious from a search)

SB800 ~$450-470 plus $60-100 postage.

SB600 ~$290-330 plus $60-100 postage.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 8:01 PM   #7

OK, maybe its the same person, lol. The prices I listed included postage too.

I'll go have a look on ebay,

Cheers

Paul
Old Aug 24, 2005, 6:28 PM   #8

According to all the camera books, the GN divided by the subject distance gives you the proper f stop. Put another way, the GN divided by the f stop gives you the maximum range at full power.

Given the above relationships, the larger the GN, the smallerthe f stop you can use, for a givendistance. Therefore, the stronger the flash, thesmaller f stop you can use, and this is one way to control depth of field.

nikonleicauser is offline   Reply With Quote