Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2004, 8:10 PM   #1

Let me preface this first by saying I'm a novice. I have only have one true hobby and that's fishing. Well, why not make it more fun by taking pictures of it. I bought a Canon G5 and I loved it. I decided to then buy a D70 after reading many nice things about it.

So here it goes:

I'm using auto mode as of right now. I took some pics today of my guys driving a bulldozer around pushing dirt. I noticed that once I downloaded the imagesthey looked grainy. So I took my G5 outside along with my D70 and shot pictures to compare them. The pics taken by my G5 were much better. The thing I noticed was that the G5 chose anaperature of 4.5 and shutter speed of 1/250. The D70 chose an aperature of f12 to f14 and a shutter speed of 1000 to 1250. SO....I switched the D70 to manual mode and mimicked the same settings as the G5 and got fairly equal results (G5 quality was a bit better). I chose AUTO ISO and the highest quality setting on the D70.

Any ideas folks?

PS- I have enrolled in a photography class
HylanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:23 PM   #2

What were the ISO on the images that you took? If high (>800), turn off AUTO ISO
YDanusas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:36 PM   #3

Hmmm. Looking back at all the pictures, the iso settings were around 1600.

I take it the Auto ISO doesn't work all that well? Would an ISO of around 200 to 300 work well for outdoor shots?
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:13 PM   #4

Yes. If the camera is shooting at 1/1000 or faster, there is more than adequate light. If you are trying to stop motion, 1/250 or 1/500 should be adequate.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:41 PM   #5

So don't worry about your D70. Just turn off AUTO ISO, set the camera on Aperture priority (A), set ISO on 200 or 400 and let matrix metering do its job. Rule of thumb, your aperture speed value should be higher than ur focal length. If not, camera shake is imminent. PS: what photography class did you enroll in? I'm sure they taught a thing or two about the basics of photography.
YDanusas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 7:55 AM   #6

When I purchased the camera from Ritz , they gave me some coupons to attend a 6-7 day class on photography. I haven't started yet. I also just Thom Hogan's CD manual on the D70. All I know about photography is what I've read online and in a few of those idiot/for dummies books.

To sum it up, I'm overwhelmed to say the least. A man told me the best thing to do is just shoot pictures....period.

Ill shoot some pics over the weekend and see how it goes.

Thank you very much guys!!!! I'm sure I ain't done asking questions!!

Hylan

Old Jul 16, 2004, 3:58 PM   #7

My d70 needs +0.7 exposure compensation to take good photos.Maybe this is a calibration fault and I hate this.But I love my camera :-)
civil is offline   Reply With Quote