Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:09 AM   #1

I'm planning to purchase a D70 from a friend who bought it in May and used it only a few times before deciding it is not for him. He purchased it from an authorized dealer so the warranty etc is valid.

In my research, I read that serial numbers that start with 3 mean the camera is indeed a US model. IS this true? Makes sense since this camera's serial number starts with a 3, but I'm just wondering if that's universally true.

Also, I came across a review that claimed that D70s with serial numbers above 3048XXXX have "all the kinks" worked out. Is this true? What kind of kinks are we talking about here (I've heard backfocus mentioned?) The serial number on the camera I'm hoping to purchase is 3033036. Should I be wary of this since it's an earlier model than 3048XXXX? Obviously I can get a better deal on this camera than if I were to walk into a store and purchase it, or else this wouldn't be an issue. But i'm not willing to risk problems for the sake of saving a few hundred bucks. Please advise!

Thanks!
freshma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:05 AM   #2

Yes, serial numbers starting with 3 is meant for US. You can tellwhich part of the world grey import models were meant for by their serial numbers too.

I don't believe one can universally claim that after a certain date or serial number, that all the "kinks" have been worked out. This is making too many assumptions. First of all, it implies that all samples preceeding the serial number 'cut off' have problems. The number of true defective units are very few (a few tenths of a percent IMHO). Also, I believe Nikon's recentlyannounced increase of D70 production (by 25%!) would far more likely lead to decrease in QA and increase in QA related "faults"(imagine if you were asked to increase your work output by 25% with the same pay and work conditions, wouldn't it be more likely that you'll do a poorer job or lapse in attention to detail to fulfill the target numbers your boss requires?)So by this reasoning, newer/later serial numbered bodies are more likely to have faults. I realise this is very presumptuous and flawed thinking, but so is the reverse.

http://md.co.za/d70- best (IMHO) chart to test for the dreaded backfocusing.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:50 AM   #3

Thanks so much for your reply, Onyx. Of course it makes perfect sense that as production volume rises the absolute number of "faulty" models out there will rise as well. I think the bottom line is that you are right-- it's a waste of time trying make a bet based on serial numbers because as you said, there are far too many variables that cannot be accurately quantified.

SO I guess I should just buy it then!
freshma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:38 AM   #4

Mille merci Onyx,

Your link on the focusing issue is really great. Now I know why some of my pictures were not focused were i want. I now realize that to shoot action, we have to give the priority on the focus point and forget about the framing then we correct the framing with croping afterward.

One again a thousand thanks,

Luc
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 5:55 AM   #5

Hi Morris, I'm glad the link helped you. Thank the Tim Jackson the author of the site, don't thank me. Also, if you think you have focus issues and for some reason don't want to send to Nikon to fix, here's a page with instructions on how to fix it yourself:

http://leongoodman.com/sergei/backfocus.htm

Edit: You could also apply the guide linked above to adjust the postitioning of the auto focus sensors to more closely match up with the rectangular squares in the viewfinder - I had a play around with mine for2 hours today, but it's not something I'd recommend most people fiddle with as it's quite easy to screw things up big time.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote