Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 24, 2002, 11:17 AM   #1

Default D100 vs. Edsel?

With the flood of new full frames and with the (maybe) announcement of the new Oly 4/3 ...

The D100 may turn out to be the shortest lived new product since the Edsel!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2002, 1:09 PM   #2

Default Camera Prejudice?

Steves,

What is you problem with the D100? You constantly blast it while leaving the Canon D60 & D30, Fuji S2, or the Contax N unscathed. Where does this hatred come from?
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2002, 1:19 PM   #3

the difference is little i wouldn't include the contax n at least it has a full frame plus it hasn't been released.
a lot of people felt they got something for free with the x factors. not as much as they lost though.
i think like me he expected more from nikon.

[Edited on 9-24-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 2:17 AM   #4

I suppose i sound cruel, for that I apologize. However, when the D100 came out I tried to explain why I felt it was a dissapointing camera/ Now I would hope that folks would forfend buying ANY of these less-than full frame cameras ..

The onlyn reaosn for hittiong on Nikon is that I am attracted to the brand, have always had Nikons and ... well call it brand loyalty in a twisted way.

I alsop feel that those who bought the D100 were cheated by Nikon's introducing a has been design. It will be interesting to see what they dow tih pricing now. The D100 may have been low balled KNOWING that Pkina was going to kill of Nikon's higher priced machines. Somehow I can not see a professional buy8ng a Nikon when the Kodak and Canon are out there with full frome for less $$
Old Sep 25, 2002, 1:57 PM   #5
NHL

Default It looks like Kodak is king right now!

Since Kodak is using mostly parts from the Nikon bin for its Pro 14n, Nikon must not be far behind...

It is interesting to note that Canon has now to decide wether to drop the price to match the Kodak's or even lower it to justify the 11/14 Mpixels difference! They'll also have to defend their EF mount now that Fuji/Kodak has 'standardized' on Nikon's mount. The OlyDak looks like the handicap here unless they come up with something inexpensive and soon because in a few months a price war probably will erode theses prices down to the 3k level (just look @ the alphabet soup we're getting: D60/D100/S2-pro/SD9/1Ds/Pro14n...).
Quote:
In the U.S., the estimated street price for the DCS Pro 14n is near $4,000
BTW also note that Contax choose to offer a 5M P/S instead...

[Edited on 9-25-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 2:06 PM   #6

Default There will always be something better around the corner...

Digital SLR's may never have all the capabilities that a film camera can have, at least at an affordable price.

I have a D100 and am very pleased. If I wanted to spend $4k on a body, I would have bought a D1X a long time ago.

The D100 has supplanted my F100 and has made shooting far more enjoyable. No more film, driving to the lab, driving back to the lab, and endless scanning. No more partial rolls laying around.

The fact I can get a full frame sensor and more megapixels for and extra $2k means little at this point. The difference is I'm shooting now, happy with the results rather than waiting and spending an extra $2k.

The Olydak is a pipe dream. It's a way for the other players to get away from Canon and Nikon mounts. A great theory, but there is way too much Canon and Nikon glass out there now for it to be a player in the not so distant future.

Glass is where the money is. That's why Oly, Fuji and Kodak want in. Who's going to make this new glass?
scorpio_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2002, 2:28 PM   #7
NHL

I agree with you except for price... in a few months it's more like 2-3k not $4000! Just recall how much the D100/D60 was priced before they were finally released!

The difference may be more palatable then... than MSRP.

[Edited on 9-25-2002 by NHL]
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:13 AM   #8

New glass?

Zeiss, Olympus, Sigma ??? not really an issue.

Why 4/3? It is a matter of price point. The market for "pro" SLRs is very small and requires big prices. A samller frame size requires an easier to make lens at less cost.

Also, the effective DOF for the 4/3 chip is a lot more than that for a 35mm. As a result there is less blur due to "film thickness" ... a limitation of the 35mm format! AFIK the only theoretical limitation on 4/3 is that it will have LESS abuility to blur the foreground and background. So, for those of use f64 types, ironically, smaller is better!

I suspect the major issue will be marketing. With digicams that make snapshots falling rapidly in price, the margin on the P&S and even the prosumer type cameras is going away! At the same time, the companies would be foolish to undercut their profits on the heavy-as-hell trucking industry dSLRs!

So, they may see a market for the "advanced amateur" .. the rick fella or gal who wants a trophy around her/his neck but doesn't want to spend enough moola to buy a used Infiniti for a camera and a lens.

I think the sweet spoit is around 2k ... too much for the average snap shooter, but enough for the aeriuous amateur or cameras-are jewelry crowd. NOW, if they is really smart (and they are) they start to accesorize! That can generate big profits!
Old Sep 26, 2002, 9:53 AM   #9
NHL

Default My crystal ball...

It's all a sliding scale:

1. Point and Shoot will be priced @ $499 or less...
2. EVF based cameras will be around where they almost are now $500-$999!
3. Non-full frame dSLR around $1k - 1599 (ie SD-9 almost there if one looks @ retail price instead of MSRP)
4. Full frame dSLR @ $2k-3K after the initial $4000 me-1st has subsided... (the original D60/D100 prices bounced repeatly around $2499-2999 initially as well before they were released to where they have settle now)
5. May be Steves is correct in that there's room in the $1600-2499 for a 4/3...

Nikon is king in accesorizing so one should see it's 14M entry due anytime since they are co-operating with Kodak on their Pro14n (hence are intimately aware of it's development). The only thing that could stop them from doing a similar camera is an NDA with a # of unit or time to market limit!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02...actorycmos.asp

[Edited on 9-26-2002 by NHL]