Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 30, 2004, 1:53 PM   #1
Zen

Hi,
To buy this camera, it's crucial for me to be able to shoot continuously at 3fps till the card is full.

I read somewhere that you can capture 144 photos in a 256MB fast card at 3fps. My questions are:

1. What is the resolution and the size in MB of the captured jpeg in a succesfull continued 3fps shooting that is *retained* till the memory card is full?

2. Has anybody succeeded to shoot continuously at 3fps in a 512MB or bigger fast card? -and I mean in retained 3fps mode till the card is full.

3. Can you change the speed of this mode to 1fps?

4. Is there a trigger input for remote control?

Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thanx in advance!

Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2004, 2:02 AM   #2

Yes, with the D70's smart buffering, one is able to shoot continuously at 3FPS until the cows come home...

3008x2000 pixel images in Jpeg normal mode. Filesize of pics approx 2MB, but varies greatly depending on what your image contains. You can also shoot smaller 3MP and 1.5MP images in all modes as these smaller files don't pose a challenge to the internal buffer at all.

I have tried 3FPS continuously just for the fun of it, but after 90-100 frames I got bored after satisfying myself that it works. Yes, it works. Yes, you are able to shoot 3FPS continuously until you run out of CF space - but I'm wondering why you would want this ability.

You cannot change the rate of shooting, however if you were to have long exposure noise reduction on (it's on by default), you will get approx. 1.5FPS - and you can shoot at this rate until you get bored or run out of CF space too.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 12:31 PM   #3

I can't imagine what you would need to shoot a whole card up at 3fps. What are you shooting/? Just curious. I shoot motorsports & the smart buffer does help a lot. At the last race I shot the fellow standing next to me with his Drebel couldn't believe how many shots I could crank off in a row.:-)

Chuck

:cart:
Crashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 7:54 PM   #4
Zen

"You can also shoot smaller 3MP and 1.5MP images in all modes as these smaller files don't pose a challenge to the internal buffer at all"

Onyx, I just found and downloaded the manual from Nicon and saw that for 3.3MP (Medium) the buffer capacity is only 7,7,7 in Basic,Normal,& Fine quality settings, in contrary to "Large" setting where it is 9,12,19 and "Small" 19,27,49 respectively (page 45).

So I wonder, if the suggested setting is "Large"/Normal for 144 cont. shots on a 256MB it might not be continuous if you choose "Middle". So if this is true, the only alternative choice will be "Small" (1.5MB)

So, I would really appreciate if someone could try this at "Medium" resolution to see if it can keep the 3fps!

I care about this resolution because I will get a 1 or 2GB fast card that might be not so fast as I saw on this site http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6816

Chraston, unfortunately it's a business project and I can only tell that I'll have to exceed the limits of continuous shooting!

Thanx for the response!
Old Aug 1, 2004, 6:22 AM   #5

Zen, you are correct that in the medium image size setting (3MP), the continuous shooting speed slows. I just tried it out in medfine setting andafter the 10th frame (NB: not 7, I'm using an Ultra 2 card), it slows to roughly 2 FPS by my estimation.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 8:50 PM   #6
Zen

Pity...
but the worst (for me) is that for 2GB Ultra II Sandisk the frame rate at Large/Normal =2.4fps according to this page http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/page10.asp

..and according to the other page link I posted, the Sandisk 2GB Ultra II has a write speed (in D70, JPEG Fine) of 3.895MB/sec that verifies the ~2.4fps at Large/Normal, where 3.895MB/1.5MB =2.596fps, but considering the above site used an image "difficult to compress" it goes lower to 2.4fps.

So it seems that the "Buffer Capacity" amount referred to each setting, is directly related to the continuous speed, up to a limit of 2.92fps, so the greater the number, the faster. Re-arranging the table on page 45 for speed that would be:

shots__fps__fomat
(4)(1.0)RAW NEF
(4)(1.0)RAW NEF+JPEG BASIC
(7)(2.0)M/Fine
(7)(2.0)M/Normal
(7)(2.0)M/Basic
(9)(2.2)L/Fine
(12)(2.4)L/Normal
(19)(2.5)L/Basic
(19)(2.5 or 2.92?)S/Fine
(27)(2.92?)S/Normal
(49)(2.92?)S/Basic

Where:
Large=3008x2000
Normal=2240x1488
Small=1504x1000

At the moment it seems that the only choice for 2.92fps on this card is selecting SMALL/FINE -or is it SMALL/NORMAL ???? :?

The strange thing is that I saw the very good "Sandisk Extreme" 2GB on online shops, but it isn't listed on the US site and I couldn't find it on the Japanese site either (but I'm not very sure)

Thanx very much for the response and the test!

Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:13 PM   #7

Zen, I was thinking that you were shooting motorsports & trying to get the whole field shot on the first lap. :lol:

:cart:
Crashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 6:31 PM   #8
Zen

No, I'm going to cover a wedding, and with this feature I'll be able to collect all the odd spontaneous expressions from the couple and their family and give these (instead of the good ones) if they refuse to pay me the prise we agreed! (I'll switch the envelopes the last minute).
They will get what they paid for!:lol:
Old Aug 3, 2004, 9:14 AM   #9

I took this from DP review for you. Gives you all the answers.

Continuous shooting mode

One thing we picked up on very quickly in our D70 preview was the D70's impressive continuous shooting capability which comes about from a fast shutter, fast processor, good buffer usage and fast Compact Flash throughput.

Smart buffering
In my D2H review I talked about 'Smart buffering' (my own name for it), the ability for the camera to use its buffer in the same way a multitasking computer operating system would use RAM, to buffer the RAW data and temporarily store the converted output data (JPEG or NEF) before being written to the Compact Flash card. This technique has the advantage of freeing up Buffer space as quickly as possible and not being bottlenecked by the Compact Flash card or interface.

The diagram below was created for my D2H review, having observed the way the D70 operates I am fairly confident that it is a fair representation of what goes on inside this camera too.

[align=center][/align]
Approximate image processing sequence:
  1. Record data as it comes off the image sensor, unprocessed data (approx. 8.7 MB per shot) [/*]
  2. Store this unprocessed data in the buffer [/*]
  3. Take unprocessed data from the buffer, convert to image file format (JPEG, NEF, etc.) [/*]
  4. Store this processed image file in the buffer ready for writing [/*]
  5. Write output JPEG / NEF image files from buffer to CF card
[/*]
The important thing to understand here is that steps 3 and 5 are happening in parallel, the image processing engine (step 3) is constantly freeing up buffer space for new shots to be stored. This means that you do not necessarily have to wait for the entire burst of frames to be written to the CF card before there is enough space to take another full burst.

Something the D70 does significantly differently than previous Nikon digital SLR's is that it allows you to keep taking images continuously after the initial burst of shots, it does not limit you to a certain number of frames and require you to re-press the shutter release.

Measuring frame rate
We used a new approach to measuring frame rate on the D70, very simply we made an audio recording of the camera shooting continuously in each of the image modes and then analyzed this using our own proprietary software to produce a graph of frame rate versus time. The card used for these tests was the 2 GB SanDisk Ultra II, image shot was our standard resolution chart at ISO 200, shutter release button was depressed for 40 seconds each time. The results were:

Image mode
Initial frame rate
Final frame rate *

RAW
2.9 fps for first 4 images
1.0 fps continuous

Large/Fine JPEG
2.9 fps for first 12 images, 2.4 fps for next 8 images
2.2 fps continuous

Large/Normal JPEG
2.9 fps for first 14 images
2.4 fps continuous

Large/Basic JPEG
2.9 fps for first 15 images
2.5 fps continuous

* By 'continuous' we mean until the Compact Flash card is full.

The graph below represents the average frame rate at each 'stage' of the camera's buffer usage as identified by the measured frame rate (in reality the actual frame rate fluctuates slightly from one frame to the next).

[align=center][/align]
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 3:30 PM   #10
Zen

Thanks cameranserai, but the page you kindly copied for me is the same link I included 3 posts ago!
It didn't answered all my questions, but...

...anyway, this baby is already now in my hands! Nice to touch and explore it I must say! Yes, I'm the happy owner of the infamous D70 kit!:-)

I took the finall decision and each time I press the power switch I'm more than happy! I'm going to buy the AF 10.5 fisheye tomorrow, 2x 2GB sandisk extreme or Ultra II, etc. etc...

So, thanx again all for you help! I'm quite busy now... I have to explore this piece of art!:|