Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:27 AM   #1

I tried it once and wasn't very happy with the results, but I really need to give it a chance - haven't had time to experiment. Has anyone here experimented with auto ISO on the D70 and can give feedback? Thanks!
tksuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:07 PM   #2

Tksuther,

Iuse mainly auto for white balance and I have no compliants. On abright sunny day I tried the white balance with the sun, I will be honest with you I saw no difference. Indoors, the colors I get are pretty true. I am looking at a photo I took inside a few days ago and the colors are great. Whites are white and the wall which has a slight tinge of green does show in the photo. I did use a speed light which seems to help. I am not a pro, so I have not experimented much with presetor selecting the white balance. I can tell youI enjoy myD70. I posted a few pictures. Good Luck!!

Nadia

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:36 PM   #3

I have had the auto ISO enabled and the promptly turned it off. It seemed like it was always shooting at 1600 in a well lit room with the kit lens mounted.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:42 PM   #4

Are we talking about automatic ISO or automatic White balance here?

Auto ISO will just choose the ISO value that is best considering the light/speed etc.. this is typically what I leave the camera on when I'm not running full-manual settings. I cannot recall the camera ever wanting to use anything other than ISO 200. Admittedly, most of my shots have been landscapes and other well-lit, slow shots.

Auto White Balance is all about temperatures of light. This can play absolute havok with your pictures if it's not set correctly. I shoot in RAW 99% of the time and while shooting in RAW, WB is not finalised in the camera. So once the shots are on my screen I can go with what the camera suggested would be the correct WB or I can alter it to any number of preset temperatures. I would say that more often than not I alter the WB after taking the shot, which I guess means that if you're going to be shooting in JPG where you cant do this, I would recommend manually choosing your WB.

Hope this helps..
PW
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:37 AM   #5

I dont use auto iso,I determine it. and about white balance ;I found the correct setting trying it manualy (with a white paper)

if you cant do this,you can download a photo of steves d70 samples which you like its colors and use it to adjust the white balance.

good luck.
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:52 AM   #6

Actually I was referring strictly to auto ISO, not white balance. It appears most people do not care for the results with auto ISO. For me, it seemed to increase the ISO value in lighting situations that produced fine results with ISO 200. And I was in "P" mode so the f/stop shouldn't have been a factor. Too bad because it sure would be convenient! Thanks to everyone for their feedback. BTW, I do not use auto WB either.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 7:45 PM   #7

Sorry, everyone my mind was on white balance. My mistake. I have my ISO set on 200.

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:19 PM   #8

dcrawley wrote:
Quote:
I have had the auto ISO enabled and the promptly turned it off. It seemed like it was always shooting at 1600 in a well lit room with the kit lens mounted.
See, I was typing my reply when this was written so i didn't see it at all. Sorry about that. I wouldn't have harped on so much about Auto WB if I had read it.

PW
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:25 PM   #9

No problem everyone - now I know your thoughts on auto WB too! Thanks for the feedback.