Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 6, 2004, 2:19 PM   #1

I have been thinking that the built in flash of D70 is not strong enough for the shots like weddings etc.

Therefore I want an external flash for my D70.Which is the optimal flash for a normal user (not prof using) with D70 ?

SB 800 or SB 600 ?

Here in Turkey SB 800 is about 200 usd more expensive than SB 600.İs it worth this? What are the differences between thetwo models?I think I will go with SB 600 because of the price.For a hobby user as me, does not SB 600do its job good enough?

I would like to know your valuable opinions friends.

civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2004, 6:16 PM   #2

Hi Civil,

I just purchased the SB 800 and love it. I was told that the flash is more powerful in the SB 800 so you get better coverage and distance. I thought since I paid so much for the D70 I should invest in a good flash.Either way, there is adifference using an external flash as compared the built in flash, my picutres are so much better. Good Luck!!

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 1:14 AM   #3

Aside from the differences in power and features you can read up anywhere, the two also differs in functionality.

The SB600 operates basically under 2 modes - iTTL auto and manual. The SB800 adds aperture auto, non-TTL auto, distance priority manual, and other modes that may or may not be helpful/useful to you. It has a light sensor on the unit, that can determine flash exposure independently from the camera body. This means it will work with older Nikon bodies that perhaps don't have sophisticated flash exposure sensors. It also means you have an alternative to iTTL metering should you face a situation that it cannot resolve adequately.

While iTTL is supposed to be an improvement on previous flash metering methods, you will no doubt have come across many dissatisfied users or those having issues with it (go browse any photography forums). With the SB800, you at least have the option(s) of other auto flash exposure methods available for these difficult situations. With the 600, it basically comes down to getting to know the iTTL metering method and knowing what its weakness are.

The lucky ones in the US have an easy choice - the 800 offers so much more for only a small additional cost to the SB600. Outside of the US, the SB800 commands a huge price premium - whether or not that's justified for you, only you can answer.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 3:14 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies,

I think I should get the SB 800 even its expensive.

How much is SB 800 in USA ? Maybeone of my relatives who will visit USA can get it for me.
Old Aug 7, 2004, 9:13 AM   #5

Onyx made me feel even better about my decision, I did not realize the SB 600 did not have all the features of the SB 800. I will use those features and have tried a few b/c I like to experiment and have the freedom of other options.

Civil, I paid $369.99 base price and with tax the total was $392.19.I bought the light at Ritz camera. The prices were a little less on the inter web however with the delivery fee therewas not much of a difference. Do I always know what I am doing, no , but I am learning. The manuel seems difficult at firstbut once you sit downand read it a few times, it is easier.

Happy Shopping,:-)

Nadia
Old Aug 7, 2004, 3:34 PM   #6

Dear Nadia,

Can youshow me a few samples which took with built in flash and SB 800.I want to compare and see the difference.is it possible for you?
Old Aug 7, 2004, 9:35 PM   #7

Dear Civil,

I took these pictures in the dark. I will be honest with you the SB 800 did a good job, however I would probably go with the first picture using the built in flash since the rose was over exposed. But you can see the difference. I was about 10 feet away when I took these. I hope this helps.
Attached Images

Old Aug 8, 2004, 3:03 AM   #8

Thank you very much Nadia,you are so kindly.I saw the difference.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 7:12 AM   #9

Hi Civil

If you didn't buy SB800 yet www.aydinlar.com droped their prices and they have good leasing options for some major visa Cards.
misina is offline   Reply With Quote