Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2004, 12:22 AM   #1

Has anyone attempted using a Vivitar 285 flash with the D70? I have searched high and low on the net with no luck. I will eventually purchase the SB800, but not right now. I tryed usingthe 285 with a slave trigger, but it wouldn't sync with the D70s flash. Thanks for any help. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2004, 1:27 PM   #2

I'd doubt it, but their site does mention:-

"Remote Sensor Capability with optional SC-3 cord"

I am not entirely sure what they are referring to here, but I would email Vivitar and find out if I was you
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 6:23 PM   #3

Thanks much for your reply cameranserai. I will check with Vivitar. Take care.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 9:56 PM   #4
km

I do it all the time. you may want to use voltage protection on your flash sync cord. the camera has to be set in manual and to a fixed ISO setting. it works just like the flash would on any other camera.
Attached Images

km is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 10:01 PM   #5
km

the cord I use is from paramount cords and includes the voltage protection. I have never used the flash directly on the camera. This setup is used for all my flash work at weddings and other pro shooting.
Since the older 285 units had a high sync voltage I highly recomend protection. it is a lot cheaper than replacing a camera.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 10:13 PM   #6

Thank you very much km for your reply. I will visit my local camera shop and see if they have what I need. That is great news. Again thanks. Take care.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 10:40 PM   #7
km

you can have your cords custom made by paramout of your local store doesn't have what you need. I use a cheap hotshoe adaptor to get the pc connection then a cord I had made with pc to vivitar connectors and a voltage protector in it..
http://paramountcords.com/
Old Aug 15, 2004, 12:32 PM   #8

I have the Vivatar 285hv made in china. It is rated at 6 votes according to Vivitar's web site. http://www.customernation.com/pls/ps...p;p_parm=PSHPP

then select flash, 285hv and self help.

"We do not recommend the use of older flash units with digital cameras due to voltage considerations. Vivitar's flash designed for digital cameras, the DF-200 assists a camera's internal flash and has a learning mode to sync with it, all without a direct electrical interface.

The early 285 units made in Japan and Korea, have voltages which could be damaging to the camera's circuitry. The current models of the 285HV made in China have a trigger voltage of approximately 6V. "

That said I still plan to get a SB800 and retire my 285 to remote flashduties as soon as I can afford it.

Basepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 10:13 PM   #9
jah

Yipes, I am a new D70 user, old (ok very old) OM-1 user. Did not realize using the Vivitar 285 could damage the D70. Here is a pic I took using the 285 to fill using the D70. I have had the 285 for 20+ years, is it a "HV", and can it damage my new pride and joy(d70)???
Attached Images

jah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 5:36 PM   #10
km

If you are using a 20 year old 285 it likely has the high trigger voltage and could easily damage your camera. I wouldn't use it without a voltage protection device. the device I use is built into the paramount cord that I use with the flash. wein and others also make protection devices.