Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 10, 2004, 1:13 PM   #1

Realizing that this has been discussed, and I have read the posts,I am still in a quandry on which flash to buy. I currently am using an SB24 in manual mode & really need to upgrade... I see 3 choices, the SB28DX, SB-80DX and the new SB-800.

SB28DX - Pros-available at good cost, fits the D100 well. Con, not the newest technology, no wireless.

SB-80DX- Pros- available at less than the SB-800, Modeling light (?worthwhile) Con-not the latest, no wireless, no filter set, no stand

SB-800 - Pros - Really not much more than the SB-80DX, latest tech, wireless, filter set (usable?), stand (?usable) (? can I still use this somehow with the D100?) Can be used as master unit (D100?) Con-More costly, may have features not usable by the D100, ?Does it also have the modeling light?)

Since I have determined I have to get a new flash, any experience with these units on the D100 would be appreciated. And, once I get a new flash, does the SB24 become useless, or can I still use it in some fashion controlled by one of the other units?

Thanks

Dave Harding
dcharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2004, 7:21 PM   #2

Here is my take.. I use the 80 for my D-100 and the 800 for my D2h

1. Modeling lite, IMHO useless i have never found a good use for it.

2. The 80 can be a slave flash and is wireless

3. Battery, refresh rate much better on the 800. but I must say I use a digetal pursuits battery for the 80 to solve that proble

4. The gells you get with the 800 are nice for effects.

5. The next generation D-100 will probobly (If there is one) have a lot of the same features the D2h has thus the 800 will be needed for these features..

I bought my 80 2 years ago and payed less for the 800 ($334) don't know what the 80 is going for now.

I guess it depends on if you plan to upgrade your camera in the f. If so go with the 800 if you are hapy with the D-100 and plan on using it for a long time go with the 80.

I would not even consider the 28..

Dale

www.pbase.com/cowboy43
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 4:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. I purchased an SB-80dx, as I see no need today for the 800 & got a good deal on the '80. I am anxiously awaiting the flash...
Old Aug 30, 2004, 3:37 PM   #4

Update: Wonderful unit, the 80dx. Does everything my 24 did on film cameras Easy to use, generally gives excellent results. Got an SC19 cable & use the 24 for a second flash in manuall, doesn't seem to confuse the 80dx too much & get great results. & got a good buy on the 80dx
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:17 AM   #5

I would spend a bit more and go for the SB-800, although it's not built for D100. I have the SB-80DX and it's a fine flash, when you get to know it. You will get some underexposure though, which is a very common (an annoying, but you can compensate for it) problem with this combination. Take the SB-800 - more new technology inside.

Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:29 PM   #6

Any Nikon DX series will work fine with the D100 including the compact SB-50DX, but if you consider for future camera up-grade, Nikon commited to the new i-TTL flash feature, you should spend a little more to get the SB-800, the SB-600 is selling for less than $200, but less features and not powerful as the Sb-800 DX.

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote