Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 14, 2004, 10:05 AM   #1

I am going to a picnic today and it is a bright day. I will be taking pictures of children.This is just a hobby so I won't be stressed if some pictures do not come out. Here are thequestions, I have a D70. Should I shoot in aperture mode, programor automatic? If aperture mode,should I set at the greatest aperture? Should I use matrix metering? Is spot focusing good for aperture mode? Should I put my white balance on sun or leave in automatic. Should I leave my ISO on automatic?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nadia:?
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:32 AM   #2

I'm no expert, let alone on the D70 -- just got it yesterday. However, it seems ISO Auto is not favorable for many. I would suggest ISO 200.
JawKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 8:04 PM   #3

Leave ISO auto OFF all the time!!!! If you don't, all you get is NOISE

Hylan
HylanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:42 PM   #4

Thank you so much for both of your advice on ISO. I checked and I was set on 200. I used aperture mode set at 5.6. I did have two pictures out of focus, I think it was because I was not on the subjects with the spot focusing. I used the SB 800 and realized that I never put it in AA mode. It was in TTL. The lighting was fine. I attached a picture with no editing. There is so much to learn. The journey is fun.

Nadia
Attached Images

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 7:05 AM   #5

Just got a D70 and I am happy with it so far. Has anybody managed to use the D70 with the SB800 offcamera? I am trying to use the SB800as a slave flash off camera, but it doesn`t fire. Any help with settings will be greatly appreciated.

:|

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
purkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:02 AM   #6

Forgot to mention that I am not using sync cables.
purkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:53 AM   #7

purkiss wrote:
Quote:
Just got a D70 and I am happy with it so far. Has anybody managed to use the D70 with the SB800 off camera? I am trying to use the SB800 as a slave flash off camera, but it doesn`t fire. Any help with settings will be greatly appreciated.

:|

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Try this:

Group A, Channel 3 on the SB800 and the D70 must be set to Commander > TTL.

I remember reading you had to change the channedl on your flash and I found this on another forum from someone who claims to have made it work. If I have time today, I'll try to verify this with my flash. If you find this does or doesn't work before I do, let me know.

mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 9:11 AM   #8

Ok ... yep Group A, ch 3 on the flash and commander > ttl on the camera does the trick. I decided to get off my lazy bum and give it a quick try. Took me a couple minutes to figure out how to set the flash to remote unit and then Grp A/3, but once I did that the flash fired every time. The pictures I took though really sucked as they didn't have enough light. If you get yours working and you take some good ones with it, post a couple along with the # of flahes, where they were in the flash, etc ... will ya?

Thanks
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote