Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2004, 2:46 PM   #1
maw

I've decided on the D70 camera (and the 800 flash)and would like some suggestions on what lenses would be good with this camera. I like to shoot wildlife (birds, dear, bears, etc.), closeups of insects and flowers, sporting events (motorsports)as well as the usual family stuff. I don't have an "unlimited" budget but am willing to "save my lunch money" to get a set of good lenses.

Also, is the lens that comes with D70 package worth the extra $ andare the Vibration Reduction lens worth the extra $.

Thanks in advance
maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2004, 1:56 AM   #2

I have already posted this several timers elsewhere, but the Nikkor 70/200 F2.8 VRIFED isTHE lens to have in my book. The VR really does work! I use it for motor racing and when panning the results have to be seen to be believed. I also recommend the TC14E convertor to up the lens to a true 420mm (Remembering that 70/200 is really 105/300 in digital terms). If that isn't going to be enough there are also the TC17E and TC20E, since most wildlife photographers reckon on 500mm minimum, unless you have very friendly bears! You don't lose much aperture even with the largest teleconvertor - about three stops I believe compared to one stop on the TC14E. The TC20E will give you a 35mm equivalent of 210/600mm!

Personally I bought the kit lens but don't like it so I also bought the 17/55 F2.8, but don't let me put you off - there are many who swear by it. I guess I am just used to solid feeling lenses and I find the stock kit lens a bit plasticky.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 7:44 PM   #3
maw

Thanks, I've got my sights on the 70-200VR.
maw is offline   Reply With Quote