Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2004, 7:47 PM   #1

I took some people pictures the other day and two out of thirty pics where out of focus.There was enough light since they were outside pictures. I think I get so involved with composition that I forget to check if I have the main subjectswithin the focus area. The objects behind them were in focus. I amsure I do not have the back focus problem b/c I have taken some great pictures. Does this make sense? Should I use closest subject focusing when taking pictures of people. I was in aperature mode using spot focusing.Any helpful tips?

:?

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2004, 1:05 AM   #2

The D70, if that is what you are using, is very focus critical. Using the spot focusing, if the centre is on the background, the foreground will be out of focus. Page 68 of the manual (mine anyway, UK) gives the settings depending if you are using single or continuous mode. I think I would go for the dynamic area for group photos.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 3:37 AM   #3

I always use the centre spot for focusing, and recompose for the shot.

The centre focus point is the only one that's cross-hatched, meaning the sensordetects contrast (NB: auto focus works by detecting contrast) both horizontally and vertically. The outside focus pointshave sensors that detect contrast only in 1 orientation. This means the middle focus sensor is the only "real" autofocus point, and the one most likely to yield accurate focus.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 9:12 PM   #4

Sorry, I should have mentioned the camera is a D70 and I use single mode. Thank you so much for your reply. I agree with it being very critical that I aim at what I want. I did try dynamic focusing and took several pictures of my niece. They were all in focus. Onyx suggested center focus, I will also try that option. I attached a picture which I did not edit. I used dynamic focusingwith aperture setting and the SB 800 external light source. I have to get out of the habit of just shooting as I did with my Canon G1.:-)
Attached Images

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote