Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:28 AM   #1

As the title says I'm going on a quick trip with my sister and would like to bring my D70 along. Problem is it will remain in the car for a good three to four hours while we go and visit somebody. Bringing it in when I do go visit is not an option. Checked the weather and it will be about 88 degrees f. So, will it be safe in the car for that long in the heat? Please let me know, thanks.
alphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:09 AM   #2

There are a lot of variables. Here in Florida we regularly get infants killed by mothers leaving them in cars. The cars are always black or very dark colors. On a sunny day there is a big difference between the heat generated in a car with a black top and one with a white top.

You can also crack all of the windows, which keeps the temperature down a little according to the breeze. If you have a breeze with the windows cracked and a white top or no direct sun you probably wouldn't have a problem at all. A black top in direct sunlight when the sun is high can generate temperatures that could exceed the limits in your manual.

No matter the color of the car, if you can park under a tree and leave the windows cracked a little there won't be a problem.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 1:30 PM   #3

Thanks. There are some trees near the parking lot, so hopefully we can get a spot. Unfortunately the car is black. So, I'll definitely take your advice. Thanks. :-)
Old Aug 25, 2004, 2:35 PM   #4

This may seem like a bit of overkill, but I have in the past resorted to an ice chest to keep cameras cool. If it's not too long, sometimes one of those throwaway foam chests placed in the trunk stays cool enough. You can also place one of those refreezable ice packs in with it.

I know this sounds like overdoing it, but it's one sure way to guarantee no problems.

Deane
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 2:43 PM   #5

That ice chest idea will work out great. We're bringing food with us and taking all of it out of the cooler to give to this person we're visiting. So, it will be nice and cool (but not to cool) when we reach our destination. And plus I think it would work out since the place we are going I will have to resort to placing my camera in the trunk so it won't get stolen. Thanks for all the help.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 3:03 PM   #6

I might suggest taking a large baggy, perhaps the gallon size to put the camera in when you put it in the chest. This way, you don't have to deal with condensation, if there is any, when you take it out.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:29 PM   #7

Thanks I'll do that. :-)