Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:12 PM   #11

A bit of blur in the "non-point of focus," but not bad for the lighting and shooting 1600 ISO from the balcony.
brandofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 10:36 PM   #12

Great shots Brandofamily. The stage lighting looks even lower than I will have to contend with. Did you have to do a lot of "noise" reduction? How low did your shutter speeds go? Are they hand held shots, or did you use a tripod?

Jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:45 AM   #13

Pics were hand held...no flash, no tripod or mono. f/1.8, 50mm, shutter 1/125 (atleast for one below...I can not find the original data for the other 2). Only processing was to crop. Spot metered on highlight, ISO 1600.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:49 AM   #14

Pics were hand held...no flash, no tripod or mono. f/1.8, 50mm, shutter 1/125 (atleast for one below...I can not find the original data for the other 2). Only processing was to crop. Spot metered on highlight, ISO 1600.
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:02 PM   #15

brandofamily wrote:
Quote:
Thanks! I'm of to buy a f/1.8 50mm tomorrow.
Jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:35 PM   #16

My only theater experience was our school play which I took pictures for with a D70. I don't consider the lighting there to be low, relative to things like high school gym sports. True, the lights were turned completely off in the audience, but the stage lighting was bright. I took the pictures from the back of the auditorium with an 80-200mm f/2.8 lens and most came out great. I made CDs of about 400 pictures and gave them out to all the cast the last night at the cast party.

Here is a shot. I have them on my gallery at http://collins-home.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=29 .

I did them handheld the first night, and used a tripod the second. Since then I've moved up to a 70-200 f/2.8 VR, and I can't wait until he next play. The VR is awesome for stuff like this (but not fast action like sports).

You mentioned dance, and I think the issue will be the same for that. If the stage lights are bright, no problem. If they are not, then you'll need to do an F/1.8 or f/1.4 lens. The f/1.8 85mm is a good buy if you need a little zoom, as its 128mm with the 1.5 crop factor.

The D70 can do a great job, and noise handling is pretty good at higher ISOs. The speed and high ISO performance set it way apart for this kind of thing, from a point and shoot.

Attached Images

convergent is offline   Reply With Quote