Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 25, 2004, 9:40 PM   #1

Been lurking here for quite a while and you guys have me looking a the D70. I have a Fuji s7000 now and have been thinking about getting the Nikon. The Fuji is great camera, but I want more control. The one main question I have is how will it perform under theatre lighting? Absolutly no flash is allowed.
Thanks for all the great info!!

sundazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:58 AM   #2

hi sundazes,

the D70 alone could not promise good results. the operator behind the camera and lenses used IMHO are the deciding factors.

IMHO, for theatre shots:

1) Long telephoto lens (at least f/2.8) if you are sitting far from the stage

2) High ISO: 400 to 800.

3) Monopod

my 2 cents
faizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:50 AM   #3

Hi,

I took a bunch of photo's ata year end show at school using my D70. The ligthing was very dim. I wanted to preserve the ligthing, so no flash was used.

Very often my shutter speed was gettting as slow as 1/10 using ISO 1600. I was using the Kit kens and a 70-300 f4/5.6 lens.

I bougth a monopod for this occasion and to my surprise, i have been able to get results just as good as using a tripod.

For sure a fast lens (F2 or better) would really help (asumingyou can afford one).

The reasonable noise (even at ISO 1600)of the D70 makes it one of the best camera for low ligth shooting.

A new comer on the Canon side may be to consider as well (Canon EOS-20D). It will cost you an extra $500 but all the reviewers are getting crazy about it.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. Fortunatly, the lighting will be somewhat bright for the most part. I did manage to get 1 or 2 passible shots with some post work out of my Fuji. It will only go to 800 at 3 mp. But now, my daughter is getting into competition level dancing and I want to get good results. Thats why I was thinking about the D70 and a decent lense. The comps don't start until after the first of the year so I would have plenty of time to learn the camera and experiment.

The other reason I was looking at the Nikon was the speed of the camera itself. The PS cameras are just too slow. It drives me nuts...
sundazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 8:39 PM   #5

I've got a D70 on the way. It is replacing a Sony DSC-707. The use in the theatre question drew my attention, as that I what I am going to use the D70 for. Any thoughts on whether the D70 is going to outperform the Sony in a theatre (no flash) situation using the kit lens on the D70, vs. the fixed lens on the Sony? With the Sony I've been typically shooting 1/30th second at around f2.0. As I was on auto I don't know what IS0 the Sony was choosing, but 400 is the limit.
Jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:06 AM   #6

If you need greater Sensitivity - you can get 3200 and ever 6400 if you want.

By setting the D70 to ISO 1,600 and -1 or -2 exposure compensation and then either 1.) shooting in RAW and opening the files at +1 or +2 exposure, or 2.) just shoot in JPG mode and use Photoshop's Levels or Curves command to lighten them!

Just an idea!
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 12:10 AM   #7

sundazes - the D70 has zero lag - you click and it takes! It also has a built in auto bracket with 31 different settings for bracketing.

1 click and you have 3 pictures all bracketed. THAT's control

:-)

the "kit" lens is only called "kit" because it comes with the camera - it's a pretty good lens on it's own - not a throw in.

Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:28 PM   #8

Maybe you should consider adding a 50mm F1.8 lens to do the theater shots. I got one last week and idid outstanding shots at a school christmas show.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:10 PM   #9

I've done a bit of theater photography. My daughter performs too. D70, Nikon 50mm f/1.8, spot meter. No processing. Shot JPEG Large/fine.
Attached Images

brandofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:11 PM   #10

Here's a better one.
Attached Images

brandofamily is offline   Reply With Quote