Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2004, 9:33 AM   #1

I am wondering is there any sense of buying sb-800 instead of sb-600.
I want to have one flash. I am using D70.
Do I have to buy a sync-cord to both of the flashes??
Which You sugest to buy?
TIA
arianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 10:59 AM   #2

I can do no better than copy Onyx's reply to someone a while back, and Onyx is rarely if ever wrong. I take no credit for his answer!

Aside from the differences in power and features you can read up anywhere, the two also differs in functionality.

The SB600 operates basically under 2 modes - iTTL auto and manual. The SB800 adds aperture auto, non-TTL auto, distance priority manual, and other modes that may or may not be helpful/useful to you. It has a light sensor on the unit, that can determine flash exposure independently from the camera body. This means it will work with older Nikon bodies that perhaps don't have sophisticated flash exposure sensors. It also means you have an alternative to iTTL metering should you face a situation that it cannot resolve adequately.

While iTTL is supposed to be an improvement on previous flash metering methods, you will no doubt have come across many dissatisfied users or those having issues with it (go browse any photography forums). With the SB800, you at least have the option(s) of other auto flash exposure methods available for these difficult situations. With the 600, it basically comes down to getting to know the iTTL metering method and knowing what its weakness are.

The lucky ones in the US have an easy choice - the 800 offers so much more for only a small additional cost to the SB600. Outside of the US, the SB800 commands a huge price premium - whether or not that's justified for you, only you can answer.

cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:11 AM   #3

Thanks...now I have no problem I'm lucky to be in USA now and the difference in price is not big, like 50$.
Thanks again
arianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:41 PM   #4

Thanks cameranserai.

Edit: I'll also add, there's a new Sigma DG500 NA iTTL model that supports iTTLflash systemof the D70. Sigma's site has comparison pics (to SB600)http://www.sigma-photo.co.kr/Review/EF500DGSUPER/04.htm

The pictures tell a story, I don't know what the words say, but it should be priced below the SB600.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 1:30 PM   #5
NHL

FYI Instruction to translate the whole link over here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...169400#p169400

... et pour les Francophones: http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Photo-Vi...-Nikon-D70.htm
:-):-):-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 4:01 AM   #6

Onyx wrote:
Quote:
Thanks cameranserai.

Edit: I'll also add, there's a new Sigma DG500 NA iTTL model that supports iTTLflash systemof the D70. Sigma's site has comparison pics (to SB600)http://www.sigma-photo.co.kr/Review/EF500DGSUPER/04.htm

The pictures tell a story, I don't know what the words say, but it should be priced below the SB600.
$50... your kidding. I purchased 2. A friend brought them over from florida. I payed £210 each where they sell for £300 in many stores in the uk. That is a dif of about $160 per unit.

A fantastic investment. Need to buy a third though.

Manual Signiture:

Entimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:59 AM   #7

I'm confused by the battery options on the SB-800. The specs show the recycle time on the SB-800 being double that of a SB-600... 6 vs. 3 seconds (approx.). I wouldn't like that, as recyle time is very important to me. I also saw that with a different battery pack, that you can reduce the SB-800 time to less than the SB-600. Is this something that comes with the SB-800? What else will I need to buy with the SB-800 to get the 3 second recycle times?
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:25 AM   #8

SB600 has a 4 sec max power recycle time, with an equivalent battery to the SB800. The 800's longer recycle time is due to its higher maximum power. I would expect when fired at any other output levels, its recycle times would be equivalent to the 600.

There are many other power options available to the SB800 to reduce this recycle time, which are NOT available to the 600. The 800 comes packaged with a SD-800 5th cell accessory, when used reduces recycle time down to 2.9secs. The SD-8A external 6 cell pack hooked up with 4 cells in the SB800 reduces recycling time down to 1.5 secs, and there's also a SD-7, available in North America that also helps with recycle time.

Recycling time was also on the top of my list of flash specs, as I usually fire off bursts of frames. The only times when recycling time frustrates me is when shooting outdoors in bright sunlight. All other times the flash is capable of keeping up with the D70's 3FPS at least for 3-4 frames.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:35 AM   #9

Thanks for the great summary of options! But... I'm confused. All the cycle times you mentioned were in the 1.5+ second range, but yet you said the SB-800 could handle the 3 fps rate of the D70 for 3-4 shots. How can that be? Wouldn't the recycle time need to be about 0.3 seconds for it to do 3 fps?I may not be understanding how to use the recycle time spec and relate it to real use. Which power options are you using?

So, you can use up to 5 cells with the SB-800, out of the box. I assume you are using rechargable AA cells. What are you using for this... charger, batteries, etc.? How many shots can you get on a full charge, before the cycle time starts to get longer?

My only base of experience on this is an an off-brand flash that I used with alkaline AA batteries on my N6006. It would do fine with new batteries... probably 3-4 seconds recycle... but then it would start to get longer as the batteries got old. Wondering if the rechargables have a flatter curve on recycle time before they drop off?
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 12:09 PM   #10

Hi,

It's because most of the time, the SB-800 will not use it's full power. So you can take 4-5 shots before it will recycle.

I use NiMH batteries and they seem to last forever (+500 shots). I always keep an extra set of batteries in the bag and change them as soon as the recycling time start to increase.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote