Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2002, 5:39 PM   #1

Default D100 internal flash

Just got my D100 yesterday. The outdoor pictures came out beautifuly. However, all indoor shots made with the internal flash came out significantly underexposed. I used the matrix exposure mode to take advantage of the dTTL flash. If I use the 1EV+ compensation, pictures are only slightly underexposed.

Has anyone else run into similar issues? Do you think I have a defective camera?

I used the 28-105 3.5-4.5D zoom lens.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2002, 1:20 AM   #2
Administrator

Seriously, I wouldn't even use the internal flash for anything other than a fill flash for daylight shots. Get a good external flash, it's much more powerful, has bounce capability and you'll be able to use its larger focus assist beam.

If you don't want to spend too much then go for the SB50DX. If you need more coverage power then look at the SB28DX or the new SB80DX.

If I have to use the internal flash I almost always use +1EV flash comp - it is wimpy.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 3:46 AM   #3

Thanks. I do intend to get the SB80DX but I do like the convenience of an internal flash. I have a N80 which also has a whimply internal flash but it seems to do a better job. My Coolpix 990 also seem to get better flash shots.

My main concern was to make sure that I didn't have a defective model.
Old Oct 3, 2002, 9:30 AM   #4

If your subject is within the range of the built in flash (refer to your instruction manual), then you should get the correct exposure. The main problem of most built-in flashes they have very limited range and small guide number, make sure your subject is within the flash range (subject to the setting ISO). If you still don't get the correct exposure within the range, then your flash need to be recalibrated by a certified Nikon technician...cheers

[Edited on 10-3-2002 by [email protected]]
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 11:29 AM   #5

Default I'm underexposed too.

I have had the exact same experience with my D100 (& 28-105mm D lens). Coincidentally, I too have a Coolpix 990, and compared my results with both cameras. The 990 definitely had better exposure without any compensation turned on.

Last night I took about 200 shots with various settings, focal lengths, etc... with the D100 (and the 990, to compare). All subjects were within range of the built in flash.

With the D100, I got the best results with flash compensation set to +1.0 and exposure compensation turned on (depending on the amount of white in the subject, and distance from the subject, acceptable ranges were anywhere from +0.3 - +3.0, all with ISO set at 200).

I too am bummed about the inadequate built in speedlight. The convenience of a good built in flash would have been sooo... nice.. but, oh well.. i guess I'll have to lug around an external flash, and deal with the extra pain in the neck literally.

Mike
msommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2002, 5:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses. The issue clearly is not the capacity of the built in flash or the range. There is plenty of power (at least to the spec). In manual mode, I can get good results. It's not the range since I get significant underexposure (at least 2 EV's) from a subjest 4' away.

It's got to be the dTTL matrix logic in the firmware that is not tuned right. Hopefully Nikon will have an update that addresses this issue.

There's no excuse for a camera of this quality to be able to produce adequate flash pictures to match point-and-shoot cameras.
Old Oct 31, 2002, 10:26 AM   #7

I just got a D100 this week and have noticed the same issue - I have to add about a stop and a third to my flash to get proper exposures. I was shooting a subject that was definitely within range of the flash as a test. I have several Nikon non D-TTL flashes but I haven't picked up a D-TTL flash yet. Does the same thing happen with an external flash as this seems to be a logic issue rather than a flash power issue? Anyone found a resolution other than having to remember to dial in compensation when you use flash?

Thanks,

Bill
cutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2002, 12:46 AM   #8

I find that a lot of D100 shots that "look" underexposed come up just fine with level adjustments in PShop... main thing is you can open up images but you cannot back off of blown out highlights. :lol:
pete biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2002, 6:13 PM   #9

I agree. Having had the D100 for over a months now, I had the opportunity to shoot under various conditions. The dynamic range that this camera caputures is incredible. I shoot all my shots in the RAW format (uncompressed) and import it into Photoshop in the 16 bit color mode. I make all color and contrast adjustment in 16 bit before converting to 8 bit for additional editing. Incredible amount of information is stored in the image in areas that are apparantly black until you adjust the levels. I understand why the camera is tuned the way it is now.