Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 6, 2004, 3:35 AM   #1

Okay, short post because I have to run....
  1. Does the D70 take good IR pictures? (with filter such as the Hoya IR-72)[/*]
  2. Being new to dSLR, what is the best way to change the lenses and keep the sensor clean? (yes, I know dust will get in there eventually, but there must be a way to minimilize the chances.)
[/*]
Well, I have to run to work, but if I think of any other questions, I'll post them.

Thank you

PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2004, 8:14 AM   #2

1. I don't take IR pictures so I don't have any 1st hand knowledge, but I've seen a few report you can get good IR picuters. Here is one such site with sample pictures:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/D70_rev05IR.html

2. If possible always change your lens indoors in a relatively dust free environment and always point the body down while changing the lens. I've heard others say things like change the lens in a zip lock freezer bag ... but that seems a bit much to me. I've got a bit of dust on mine but the cool thing is that it only shows up every now and then. When it does I either clone it out very easily our use Nikon capture to take it out for me with a dust reference shot.

Good luck on your decision. I know I enjoy mine.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 7:32 AM   #3

for IR with the D70, check out www.ndroo.com(not my shots, unfortunately)

i have not had my D70 for long and so i don't have any tips re the dust issue
Timeless-161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 9:14 AM   #4

This is what I use for dust in my D70. Works Great!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=259157

The manual explains how to do this. This gives you a good blast of air, not those little puffs like the little ones. If you get this, try it before using it on your camera. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that someone used this on their camera and forced some foreign material left over from the manufacturing process, into their camera. I did not have this problem with the one I purchased.

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 4:19 PM   #5

KEWL, thank you for the feedback on both the IR and dust issues!

So, is this a good deal?

http://tinyurl.com/438sp

Old Sep 7, 2004, 8:22 PM   #6

If I were to buy this camera now, I would buy it with the kit lens. Those two Sigma lenses they are offering are not APO and are "IMO" low end. I don't think you would be happy with either of those two lenses.
Just my two cents worth.

Ray
Old Sep 8, 2004, 3:12 AM   #7

Before getting my D70 a couple of weeks ago, i was using a Nikon F90X with just one lens - a Tamron 28-200.

I got the 18-70 kit lens with my D70 and just use the Tamron when i want the extra telephoto. This has shown me that there is a world of difference between the 'feel' of the two lenses, especially the speed of autofocus. I haven't yet had the opportunity to test and compare their optical performance but i fully expect the kit lens to knock spots off the Tamron because the pics that i have taken so far seem very clear and sharp.

I know nothing about those Sigma lenses and i do know that many Sigma lenses get great reviews, but I also know that the 18-70 kit lens is a steal if you buy it as part of the kit.

If the 18-70 lens did not suit my requirements, i would even consider buying the kit with that lens, selling the lens (for more than you have paid for it as part of the kit) and then getting lenses to suit my needs.

The kit lens does suit my needs at the moment and i think that any future lenses that i get will also be Nikon AF-S lenses coz this one works so well
Timeless-161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:34 AM   #8

Take a look at this link and see where those lenses are in terms of quality. This may help you to make a choice.

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

Ray
Old Sep 8, 2004, 2:34 PM   #9

EasyRay wrote:
Quote:
Take a look at this link and see where those lenses are in terms of quality. This may help you to make a choice.

http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

Ray
Quote:
Hey! Thanks for the site!
Quote:
A couple other questions I thought of:
Quote:
1: The D70 doesn't shoot below ISO 200, is that a bad thing? (I'm no expert!, my FZ1 shoots at 50-400)
Quote:
2: The D70 has a 5 point auto-focus and the Rebel has a 7 point auto-focus... again... opinions???
Quote:
Thank you!
Old Sep 8, 2004, 5:13 PM   #10

what effects does the dust have on results?
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote