Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:17 PM   #1

Dear Forum,

I am presently using a 256 MB SanDisk compactflash card in my Nikon D70. When I purchased the camera they tried to sell me a compactflash card that works faster with processing the pictures. I believe he said extended??? I was thinking of getting an additional card, what should I purchase? I have been doing fine with what I am using, however arethe other cardsthat much better?

Thanks,

Nadia

Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2004, 9:02 PM   #2

SanDisk is good memory. You know how salesmem love to sell. :-) Now, being your memory is only 256MB, I would guess it is older and perhaps slower. If I were you, I'd definitely buy another card because 256 probably won't hold very many images, especially if you use the best jpg or raw settings. As far as speed goes, you can find cards as fast as 60 and 80x which are overkill unless you take alot of fast continuous shots. Due to the excellent buffer in this camera, you will not experience any shooting lag time due to slow memory if you are not countinously shooting pictures such as in a sports event.

Check out this excellent link. The author rates different vendor cards with numerous different cameras. Use the drop down box and choose the D70:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 9:42 PM   #3

Thanks mdparker, I will look into a larger memory card. You are right it is old, I used it in my Canon G1. I won't be doing continous shooting or sports, however I like using RAW and PEG together.

Have a good night,

Nadia
Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:48 AM   #4

I am using the Lexar 40x, and find it fast enough and have no problems with their cards in the past.

A good link for comparing some cf's would be:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

Take care,

Stephen
sdmackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 7:58 AM   #5

Glad I could help. I have a Sandisk and Lexmark card. I like them both just fine. As long as you stick to a name brand like them, you'll be fine. I think Sandisk might even sell a program with some of their cards that will help you retrieve pictures if they somehow get lost on the card. As of yet, I have not had a need to attemp this.

Michael
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:40 AM   #6

Nah, I think that's Lexar - with their image rescue program coming free on their higher end CF cards. I have the Sandisk Ultra 2, and it didn't come packaged with any rescue software, not that I've needed it. I've been spoilt as this fast card is all I've experienced with my D70, and I think nothing of shooting continuously for long bursts and not encountering slow downs.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 1:10 PM   #7

I purchased a 512MB SanDisk Extreme card and it came with RescuePRO 1.0 for Data recovery and formating. Its SanDisk very own software.I have never used any recovery software,but I guess its nice to have. (Just In Case) I think it only comes packaged with their Extreme cards.
My next purchase will be a one gig SanDisk Ultra II. Same speed as Extreme, but supposedly Extreme is better under severe conditions. Besides I already have the recovery software and Ultra II is a little cheaper.

Ray
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:00 PM   #8

Thanks to all of you for your great advice. I think I am in the stone age with this compact flash card. I am going shopping this weekend and look at all the media cards that were suggested and of course pricing.:roll:

Also, my ZOI card reader stopped working and I ended up paying more for a Dazzle hi-speed reader. I was amazed at how fast my pictures transferred into Nikon Capture, it was worth the $40.With ZOI, I was waiting about 5 seconds for each picture to transfer.

Thanks to technology.

Everyone have a great weekend,

Nadia
Old Sep 22, 2004, 2:42 AM   #9

I have a collection of 256 MB Cf cards dating back to my Coolpix 5000; some of them are very slow and none are more than 12X speed. The write delays used to really bother me on the CP5K.

I also have a Sandisk Ultra II 1 GB I bought when I got the D70. I do not shoot long high speed sequences, but do shoot a lot of animal photos, and need to be able to shoot with no delay at random intervals, sometimes very short. I have never noticed any problem with any of these cards, even the slowest, on the D70; the D70 is so good at buffering and multitasking file writes that card speed seems irrelevant unless you are just holding down the button in continuous mode. I am now thinking of buying a 2 GB card and am sorely tempted by the great bargains now available on slower cards as it really does not seem to matter.
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 8:36 PM   #10

Hi Ross,

I recieved a very nice unexpected birthday gift two days ago, the Ultra II512 mg SanDisk. I pop it my D70 and shot away. I was expecting more pictures than43 when I selected both basic JPEG and Raw. When I selected RAW I could get only 47 pictures. With JPEG fine, I can shoot 145 pictures . With my 256MB cardI was able to shoot 94 pics in JPEG fine. I am happy, however I think your purchasinga 2 GB card is a good idea and I hope to do the same down the road. I agree with you on the speed with the buffering it probably does not matter. I am more of a people shooter, no sports so my objective is memory. The closest I get to an aminal is my cat Abby. She is a slow mover unless a squirrel enters the yard. Thanks for your good advice.

Nadia