Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

View Poll Results: Which Nikon DSLR to buy???
D70 3 33.33%
D100 3 33.33%
D1x 0 0%
D2H 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 27, 2004, 2:06 PM   #11

The D2H will maintain a higher FPS then the D70. But the real advantadge is the autofocus system (Multicam 2000)that is really better and faster then the one used in the D70.

For fast sport action it is not always easy to focus where you want with the D70...the D2H is supposed to blast the other camera in this aspect.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:57 AM   #12

JoeB_UK wrote:
Quote:
ok thanks! i didnt know the d70 had such a slow speed? many people have said its super fast writing to card, but i guess they are comparing to a point and shoot. one of the most important things for me is the speed of shot and saving

Know one has mentioned budget in this whole discussion thread. If you aren't a "pro", and I'm not, the D70 is doing great for me with field sports. It can sustain 3 fps I think for about 20 shots. So, that is not as fast as the other cameras in this comparison, but at a fraction of the price, its pretty good. I would venture to guess that the average weekend photographer would be very content with being able to rip off 20 shots in about 7 seconds. I just got the D70 and did about 150 pictures at a varsity soccer game yesterday. I was very happy with the results. I set it on P, set ISO at 200, and set focus to continuous. I then just fired away and got some great shots. I don't know that I would have taken any more shots if it could go faster... and the focus was fine for my liking on almost all of the shots. I was also using an old 70-210 Nikon lense that isn't nearly as fast as the kit lense for focus... and I had it on max zoom most of the time. So I think this whole discussion is relative to what your needs and BUDGET are for the camera.

I would imagine that the extra speed may be more important in auto sports than in field sports... so if that's what you are looking to do, then my comments are probably not valid.
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 3:30 PM   #13

smilepak wrote:
Quote:
The D2H offer a large buffer which allows you to take continue frames in a row. On the D70, D100, and other camera there is a few seconds delay after you take a picture and for it to write to the memory card.
You may want to check the facts about the D70. You can do multiple shots in succession without delay (size of buffer depends on your settings). Once you have reached the buffer's limit, I believe it is less than one second delay before you can start taking pics again. The D70 may not be as fast as a pro body like the D2H, but it's not at all slow. I've shot many events with my D70 since getting it in June, and I can testify it's a fast camera that lets you get many consecutive frames. Sure I would like a faster AF for sports like soccer and volleyball, but considering I don't have particularly fast lenses I'm pleased with the camera's speed.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 2:43 AM   #14

IMO there are only 2 good options (or one if you have a big budget) right now for a prospective Nikon digital buyer:

The D70 is the clear choice in the low end. Way faster in on/off time, multiple shot speed, writes to cards, better control layout, better matrix metering and flash control, and a near 2 years younger design than the D100, and essentially similar build style and quality. The D100 was good for its time but that has passed. I am amazed that they continue to sell.

The forthcoming D2X is the clear choice at the high end. Same speed as the D2H with 1.5X as many pixels (6 vs 4) at its special 8 shots/second mode. 12 MP resolution if you can live with a mere 5 FPS. Professional build quality and most options for lens and flash type. Only problem with this is the January 2005 delivery date--Nikon loses again--Canon announced their latest and greatest with a 1-month lag in delivery, vs. 4 months for Nikon.

The D1x should be dead in the water at this point; in all functional respects except use of AI lenses and wider variety of flashes it is behind the D70. The D2h is OK but only 4 MP, good for fast-action newspaper type shots but not much more.

The big-budget option, IMO, is buy a D70 now, a D2x when they become available. This is optimal unless you really need the 8 FPS of the D2h. You can always sell the D70 in 5 months, and probably not lose too much money on it (you'll have to be fast, of course, as it will probably be obsolete in a year). The D2h seems to me to be near-dead already, unless Nikon drops the price substantially. I certainly would not count on selling one for much after the D2x becomes available.

Re sequence shooting, as other previous posters have said, the D70 is not slow, it will do 3 FPS for varying periods, and almost indefinitely if you can live with medium-quality JPEG, which is probably similar to fine JPEG on the D2h given 50% more pixels on the D70.

Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 1:23 PM   #15

Hi I'm new and have just joined up and have been reading through your entries, but would like to post a question.

The D70 or the D100, which now has a $200 manufacturers rebate tied to it? I have a small point and shoot camera which I use frequently, but I spend significant amounts of time in the Sierras above tree line and would like a camera that will help me capture the details of that experience. The light up there is quite harsh and to get more of the detail in the mountains around me would be nice.

In winter I snowcamp and ski the backcountry and assume I'd need some kind of filter on the lenses because of the glare from the snow. Please advise?

Lastly if I was to start with two lenses what would you recommend?

Thanks, the kjs

:?

thekjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 8:10 PM   #16

I already put my opinion above, but I'll reiterate it anyway--compared to the D70 the D100 is a substantially older design, using older technology. It is slower, has longer startup time, slower writes to cards, slower autofocus, less fancy matrix metering (the D70 has the 1005 pixel color system, same as the F5), is less capable for rapid-sequence work, (the D70 will do 3 FPS for over a hundred frames using large JPEG normal on a fast flash card, while the D100 will do 6 frames), etc., etc. If you have a good look at the various review sites on the internet you will also find that the consensus is that the D100 produces slightly noisier images for a given ISO setting, and that its images have slightly lower resolution.

The D100 is made of polycarbonate, roughly the same build quaity as the D70. The only potential advantages of the D100 over the D70 are (1) it will use D-ttl flashes, whereas the D70 requires newer i-ttl, however the i-ttl supposedly works much better, so the only potential advantage there is if you already own one of the older d-ttl compatible flashes, and buying an obsolete camera to support an obsolete flash seems an odd way to start getting into digital, (2) the D100 has a pentaprism instead of the pentamirror system in the D70. The finder image might be a bit brighter (3) it will take an external battery pack with vertical release. Compared to the disadvantages of the D100, though, these advantages are tiny.

In summary, I cannot see a single important advantage of the D100 over the D70, and even with the rebate, I believe it will end up costing you a couple of hundred dollars more, if you're buying in the USA. My advice would be to buy the D70 and spend the extra money on a your lenses or a flash.

Lenses: depends a lot on what you shoot. The D70 kit lens is very good, and equivalent to a 28-105 zoom with moderate closeup ability. If 28 (in 35mm equivalents) is wide enough wideangle for you, something like the kit lens plus a 70-300 zoom would be a very good setup. If you like wider wideangle, then I suggest (and own myself) the 12-24 Sigma (18-36 in 35mm terms). For a second lens with the Sigma, you could go for a 28-300 zoom if you want versatility but maybe not the absolute best quality (though I suspect that quality on the most recent versions of these is pretty good, at least when stopped down a bit), or a 70-300 zoom if you can stand missing focal lengths between 36 and 105mm in 35mm equivalents, or the 24-120 VR nikkor if you don't need really long focal lengths and are attracted by vibration reduction.
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:20 PM   #17

I like D100 still.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"http://www.nikonians.org

a great discussion forum on Nikon related product. There is an extensive discussion between D70 vs D100.

There was an extensive discussion between D100 and the Fuji S2 Pro (the D100 brother)
smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:42 PM   #18

Thanks, both Ross Alford & smilepack. I'll do some more digging and then probably come back with even more questions.

thekjs

:-)
thekjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 4:26 PM   #19

D2X
anyone have an estimate of the price of these when they come out?
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:08 PM   #20

Hi Ross,
I like the D70 as I have used My friends D70 so I am not just blowing smoke on this subject. It is a truly great camera. I also tried A D100 before I decided to purchase. I like both cameras but I had to choose the D100 because it just plain feels better to use. It does not have all of the clutter and things I will never ever use tying up the menues. I can change any feature I use on the D100 instantly without ever even going into the menue. I have no problems with any "NOISE" at all on this camera and I use ASI 320 when shooting weddings or My fast moving pets,Kids, and Motorcycle photographs. I really don't think one camera is really any better then the other. I have another friend with A D1X and He likes My D100 much better then what He has.The D100 has 1/2 the weight and just as good pictures. He actually wanted to trade Me Cameras but I will not be giving Up My D100 for anything. I used Hasselblad Equipment for 25 years and it was heavy and I needed to carry all of those extra backs Etc. About 50 lbs total, Now I only use My D100 and a 24/120 VR lens and a SB-28DX flash and get just as good pictures with no hassel and A fraction of the cost. I actually make $$$$ Now. The D100 has everything You need and is very easy and fast to use. But, Like I say "THEY ARE ALL GOOD" This picture of the group I shot is tack sharp and I have printed it 12 X19 and it is flawless. No Noise, Crisp details, perfect color and sold A ton of them already.
Attached Images

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote