Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

View Poll Results: Which Nikon DSLR to buy???
D70 3 33.33%
D100 3 33.33%
D1x 0 0%
D2H 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:16 AM   #1

:?

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a Nikon DSLR and feel spoiled for choice. I already have an F5, F4, FA and 8700 and a variety of lenses and flashes. I mainly shoot weddings, landscape and nightshots with some fast sports like motorcycle racing and rallying.

My leanings are towards the D1x or D2h with a major liking for the D2h. I have thought about the D70 or D100 but I dont think that I would like the build quality considering that I am used to the F5 and F4. I also like the vertical shutter release available with the D1x and D2h and that it is available as an add-on with the D100.

Any members willing to give their views and experiences with any or all of these cameras will be appreciated.

BTW - any views on digital storage devices e.g. Flashtrax, Nixvue, Coolwalker etc. would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony.
Pandybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:47 AM   #2

Difficult choice huh? When I went to my camera shop, they point blank told me that I would be wasting my money in buying a D100 since the D70 did all that the D100 could at a much lower price, even though it meant they earned less! I hear what you say about a vertical shutter release but I have got used to the D70 and find no real problem, and the picture quality is superb. As for the build quality, well I had the same worries13 years back when I bought a Canon 600 and that did brilliantly until it was stolen. It was dropped and rattled around the car without problems. After all, racing cars are no longer made out of metal are they? I have an F2 and a F90X and can honestly say the lightness of the new camera astounds me, and is easy to carry the day long - it is only the lenses which are cumbersome. I guess you have all the lenses necessary so buy the body only. Best of luck
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:36 PM   #3

I have the D-100 and the D2h. 100 or the 70 would be fine for your wedding and landscape pics... but for fast action the D2h is faster than a speeding bullet.. The speed of the auto focus will blow your mind.. makes the 100 feel like you are on manual focus. I could not believe the speed of this thing, also it seems to handle low light conditions better than the 100.. The 100 has scene little use since my purchase of the d2H.. plus with the SB-800 flash you can set your flash sync on manual all the way to 1/8000 vs the 100 at 1/250 a big plus for me.. since I shoot alot in dim lit arenas.. Good Luck Dale

www.pbase,com/cowboy43
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 5:58 PM   #4

I just shot A wedding with My D-100 and 24/120 VR lens. It was the easiest $$$ I ever made doing A wedding. I too thought about the D-70 when I made My purchase but all of the extra crap they had on it was what I didn't like. The D-100 with A SB28DX flash and A "VR" zoom 24/120 is all I needed and the photographs were just perfect. I have two more weddings to do just from people that seen the results of My first digital wedding pictures. I'm not saying the D-70 is not as good as the D-100. I'm just saying the results from both cameras are probably excellent. I just liked the D-100 better.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:43 PM   #5

Unless you are into sport photo, you wouldn't need the feature and power of the D2H. It is mainly gear towards the sport / action photography people. Correct me if I am wrong, but I do recall the D2H is not that high in MP

In terms of cost and feature, try take a look at the Fujifilm S3 Pro or the previous version the S2 Pro. It essentially a nikon with more feature. Is uses the nikon flash and lens fairly well.

I would go with the D100, even though the D70 is newer. The body built on the D100 seems better and fit in your handmuch better than the D70.

If you could wait and cash out the $$. The spec on the new D2X seems really nice. Given the fact seeing you have a F4, F5 series type camera, I would assume the D2X wouldfit you perfectly

smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:18 PM   #6

im looking to buy one for sports! what does the d2h have over the d70 for shooting sport?
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:48 PM   #7

The D2H offer a large buffer which allows you to take continue frames in a row. On the D70, D100, and other camera there is a few seconds delay after you take a picture and for it to write to the memory card.

With the D2H and the older D1H, it houses a memory buffer which stores the image while it is being write to the card. Thus allowing you to take multiple images per second. Ideal for fast action / sport photography.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2h/

It has wireless transmitter where could send file to a computer wireless

Only thing about the D2H is that it is only a 4.1MP camera. For most actions photography that is more than enough to be one.

Old Sep 21, 2004, 5:05 PM   #8

ok thanks! i didnt know the d70 had such a slow speed? many people have said its super fast writing to card, but i guess they are comparing to a point and shoot. one of the most important things for me is the speed of shot and saving
JoeB_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 6:45 PM   #9

It might be fast in terms of point and shoot because it support the newer and faster compact flash memory which has a higher write speed. But it is still writing at the end of each shoot.

Vs the D2H, there is a buffer memory built into the camera to store the pictures while the writing is being worked on. I believe you could take up to 5 or 8 continues shot in a 40 frames buffer.

The D2H is 4.1MP while their older version D1H is only 2.something MP.

I like the D2H for that fact is speed. You could be watching a bike race and hold down the shoot button to have your camera click away one after the other. Hopefully you get one good shot out of it

Think of it as a good F5 with quick film advance
Old Sep 26, 2004, 3:17 AM   #10

Is 3 frames per second for 144 shots slow?

http://tinyurl.com/3hr2r

RNJ
Richard Jernigan is offline   Reply With Quote