Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 11, 2004, 11:20 PM   #1

I was so excited to start shooting with my D70 today. I bought the D70 Kit with the Nikon 18/70 lens. I took two blissful photographs before noticing a spot:

When comparing multiple photos like the two below, I noticed that the spot isn't identical in each. It's in the same space, but it doesn't have the same edge (and in one out of 70 photos it actually disappeared). Do you think this means the spot is on/in the lens? The two outward facing glass surfaces of the lens look clean, but I think I might see a faint glimmer of an imperfection when holding the lens up to a light and looking through it.

A little bummed, but I bought it locally and it will be easy to return.

-Dave
dbrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:57 AM   #2

It's not on the lens, it's on the sensor.

You could possibly get the retailer you bought the camera from to take a look at it and maybe clean it for you, but you will have to learn to clean it yourself. If you do decide to return it, you'll notice the same problem (although perhaps not as severe from new) in subsequent replacement units. This is an inherent problem with DSLRs.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:28 PM   #3

Onyx wrote:
Quote:
It's not on the lens, it's on the sensor.
Thanks for your feedback, Onyx. What would cause the dead spot to change its shape slightly from image to image if it's on the sensor? In the blue-sky photo the spot looks a little like a horseshoe while the smudge on my son's head is more circular. I thought the CCDs were the last stop for the incoming light and if "pixels" were blocked or broken, they'd be like that for every picture.

Thanks,

-Dave
Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:07 AM   #4

By the size of the spot, it could well be a loose piece of fluff or dust. If it doesn't freak you out too much, lock up the mirror and have a look to see if you can spot any physical specks on the sensor.

Edit: the apparent change in physical appearance could also be due to the different apertures used in the different images. Smaller apertures (larger F number) will make the spot appear sharper than larger apertures (smaller F numbers). If you use the camera in auto mode, aperture is controlled by the camera.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:33 PM   #5

Thanks, Onyx. I've exchanged it for a new one.

-Dave