Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 6, 2004, 1:25 AM   #11

Is being a few months behind -really- that critically a problem for you? I'm not trying to be inflammatory or anything, just genuinely curious.

Being a few months behind is bad for Nikon as a company, sure. When you competitor breaks limits and expands boundaries before you do there's more publicity going there way, but isn't it leap-frogging action? I was under the impression that while Nikon is a quarter or so behind Canon, their products ( when release ) have actually been higher quality ( D70 vs 300D for example ). If that is the case then Canon will be in front for three months in any given sector but will then be overtaken and the lead will remain with Nikon for longer. Or have I been misinformed?

Back to my original question. Is there a feature of the D2X that you absolutely need to have right now that you'd get if you were using Canon Tech? Is the current crop of bodies from Nikon going to be drastically behind the eight-ball in terms of features till the next release or it is a case of gradual improvements?

Thanks for making me think and actually ask some questions instead of lurking.

PlatinumWeaver
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 10:46 AM   #12
NHL

IMO the D70 is not aimed at the 300D, but really this camera is trying to undercut the 10D which is really a year ahead, even though most folks perceived as not so (but the feature sets are comparable)
... By which time the 10D price erosion put it at the same level as the D70, and now of course we have the 2OD. :?

Plus don't forget the new Minolta 7D, it's already past the D70 (and the 300D) and 2nd behind the 20D in term of popular hit even before it's released. Just go and check the Minolta's images handheld @ 1/6s at ISO 3200!

It's all in lens system you're commit to, just stick with it because they are all excellent cameras :-):-):-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 11:24 PM   #13

lcohen writes:

it seems as though Nikon always lag behind Canon.

Sad.

I call it saving the best for last ;-)

SM
sdmackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:51 PM   #14

It just occured to me that my lenses will get a tele-boost with the HS Cropping mode: my 70-200 VR will effectively become a 140-400mm f/2.8 lens! :G Woohoo!!! And at the press of a button I can switch back to an effective 105-300 f/2.8 lens. 12 megapixels is nice, but I really don't need that much resolution for what I do. I'll be shooting at the 6 megapixel resolution 95% of the time anyway.

As for Nikon always lagging behind Canon.. who cares? I have the perfect tools to do my job, and am happy with what I have right now, and have been happy since I got my D100 nearly two years ago. Love all the glass that I've purchased with my hard earned money, and will not jump ship just because the glass "appears whiter" on the other side - if you catch my drift
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:13 PM   #15

Hey Steve, do we all get our names entered into a drawing for a free D2X when the camera comes out? :G:lol:
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 7:28 PM   #16

they aren't a few months behind. They are a GENERATION behind. It wont last for long.

Sure, i can always drive a Seat too, or some cheap chevrolet. It will take me from spot A to spot B. But BMW will always do the job better.

I think a bunch of people at Nikon needs to be fired, big time. This is bad for us, buta catastrophy for the company.

Imagine Intel always being one GENERATION behind AMD. Saying "oh i am satisfied with my intel, I can use Word 6.0with my intel Pentium II", that DOESN'T cut it. Something has gone wrong. Donald Trump would have said: "You are ALL fired!"
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:10 PM   #17

To me there's something wrong when someone says he or she can't MAKE* a great photo without the latest equipment**. Has the process of digital capture changed in any way the basics of photography? We are still capturing light whether it be digital or analog process. You prefer Canon, I prefer Nikon... I like Husky and Klein tools, you may like Craftsman. I don't care what tool one uses as long as they get the job done, and done right. A friend of mine was asked which brand he thinks is better, Canon or Nikon. He replied, "I shoot Hassleblad" :-)

*this same friend taught me anyone can capture a photo, but only a few can make it great, and without photoshop's help :-)

** I saw some of Joe McNally's work that went into National Geographic, and guess what, he shot it with a Coolpix!
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:19 AM   #18

So whats your point? Forget about better equipment?

If i want to print an A3+ or A2 picture, the quality is of utmost importance with regard to resolution and such.

Its like saying that its possible to take a picture with a regular camera, so medium and large format is not necessary.

Its just a fact of reality, people want quality, I want quality, i want resolution and lots of it. And now nikon is a generation behind canon. it wont hold up for long. Isnt that clear? Sure, you can use a coolpix if you want to... but quality is still an issue, why do you think people spend so much money on their equipment? For the composition of the pictures? Hardly. They want quality, quality, quality. And frankly, nikon wont give them that at the moment, thats a disappointment
Old Dec 7, 2004, 2:20 PM   #19

Right tools for the job, fine. But if you're so unhappy with your D100 and lenses, "ebay"them and switch already! Don't just complain and nag, do something about it.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 8:41 AM   #20

do you really think that, that was my point?

My point is that Nikon is lagging behind one generation and that wont hold up for long. I wont sell my nikon and the nikon-equipment, at least not for the moment.

I want nikon to come back, so i dont have to sell the equipment. I really dont understand the mentality here, dont you see the problem? Honestly? I mean, come on.