Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:04 AM   #21

I don't see Nikon as lagging behind because I only use nikon cameras (The sony f717 i use is to be honest, useless compared to a nikon equivilent) So the canons are of new interest to me, so doesn't bother me. Nikon products always seem to produce much more professional products. The D2X looks amazing, I can't wait to use it!
GenYuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:25 PM   #22

Since nikon is giving rebates on D70, shall we expect they may release a new model between d2x and d70 some thing more closer to canon eos 20. Are there any rumours.

ag
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:52 PM   #23

...Talk about brand royalty! Who cares who is in the front or lagging behind?

I also salivate at the D2X, but I am not getting rid of my great D100 just yet! Unless a camera at five times the price can make me make five times as good photos, then what's the point (besides the obvious "I gotta have it" marketing frenzy?)

...it's funny: I remember these "get more, get better, bet bigger, not good enough" debates when I was debating getting an olympus 2020 with a whoping 2 MEGAPIXELS (and I think we will still be doing the same thing when the new, D9X comes out, with the 60mp chip, finally replacing the inadequate D8X with a mere 45mp's):-)

All in good humour, have fun and shoot lots!:lolASROCKET

dasrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:35 AM   #24
DBB

Ah, Das Rocket, here you are not quite right.

The limit of the 35mm lens is being reached. After about, give or take a meg or two, 15 megs is about the best you can get with this 35mm format. After that the lens will be unable to resolve additional detail. In other words there will be more sensors than detail to resolve.

You will have to move up to medium format...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:44 PM   #25

Point taken DBB, even though I remember the resolution limit being a little higher (20 to 25mp); I am confident the companies will give us something to re-measure equipment by.

Here's the question then (off topic, I know, but could not resist:-)): are they going to create lenses with better resolution to match the sensors? if they can, why didn't they do it all these years already?

JustAShotInTheDark.DASROCKET
dasrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:07 AM   #26
DBB

dasrocket wrote:
Quote:
Here's the question then (off topic, I know, but could not resist:-)): are they going to create lenses with better resolution to match the sensors? if they can, why didn't they do it all these years already?

JustAShotInTheDark.DASROCKET
Ah, well, wouldn't it be nice if I knew what I was talking about? I know nothing of the technical aspect of how this works, except in the braodest, "educated layperson" sense.:-)

However I do read and read from those who do know what they are saying. So I would "imagine" that it has something to do with the actual physical size of the lens - meaning the attachment to the camera size...

But than again, perhaps know one ever before condiered the question because of the inhernet limitation of film. Perhaps you're right? :?:

Dave
Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:19 PM   #27

For those who haven't heard, the D2X will be available Feb. 25 for $4,999.95 (suggested street price) according to Nikon.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:56 AM   #28
DBB

:!: Yes, Despite all my thinking about buying the Mark II IDs, I've already tried to order the D2x...:-)

One store told me that they have 70 orders on record and might get two on the first order.....

Well, I suppose my May or June I will have one.

Dave
Old Jan 21, 2005, 8:43 PM   #29

Some info for the resolution folks:

Diffraction limits for lenses, on axis (ignoring all imperfections - so this is just theoretical, and it is also for very small contrats of perhaps 2%)

f1.4 550 lp/mm
2.0 385 lp/mm
2.8 263 lp/mm
4,0 185 lp/mm
5.6 135 lp/mm
8.0 94 lp/mm
11.0 69 lp/mm

If you require a more visible contrast, say 30%, figure diffraction limited resolutions of about half of the above table are obtained - and this is for the perfect lens (at a wavelength of ~555nm)

Note that the diffraction limited resolution increases for larger aperture lenses, which of course are the very lenses that tend to have difficulty with various aberations, and of course, have limited depth of field.

So for an f2.8 practical lens I might get 190 lp/mm. Shooting with Ektar25 (which, typical of Kodak, the good stuff is no longer available) with a stated resolution of 200 lp/mm, I end up with an end resolution for film, with mirror-lockup tripod mounted with sandbags of around 140 lp/mm, which translates to 280 2-bit pixels/mm, or 7000x10500 pixels in a 35mm shot.

So some film/lens combos would seem to have a big advantage in the resolution war, but most any variation in the test conditions from optimal would greatly reduce the actual resolution of the result.

I know from experience with the Nikon 5000ED scans at ~4000 ppi, the scan resolution far exceeds the resolution captured on my 8008S with 100 or 400 Kodak Gold or HD hand-held. I have to try some of my flower pictures taken from a tripod with Ektar25, as my previous 3500ppi scanner just barely resolved the grain.

But I'd say that as we get to the 20MP sensors, we are probably looking at things other than the sensor as the resolution limit. But a much better lens is not going to push the resolution by more than a factor of two. And a sensor in the 8-12MP range in a reduced size is likely as good as the current lens/film 35mm combination, wrt image resolution.

I'll report a bit more as I gain some experience and do some more resolution research.
mark.huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 1:29 PM   #30
DBB

I'm sorry, but I understood very little of your post:-)

The impression I got is that you disagree with the long review I read of Mark II Ds, that 16 Megs was hitting the limit, if not exceding the limit of the 35mm lens format.

Could you clarify?

Dave