Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:45 PM   #31

Interesting that 16MP is the supposed limit of digital and lenses, yet it is estimated that films like Velvia have about 25MP/equivilant, plus a magnitude or so better contrast. (according to Ken Rockwell.)

Something doesn't quite jibe.

ausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:08 AM   #32

If I may, he doesn't jibe either. C'mon, 25 megapixels from 35mm film? When I scan negatives and slides with a Nikon SC 9000, even at the best possible settings - such as 16 pass multisample, Digital DEE/ICE/GEM/ROC adjusted accordingly, and really fine tuned curves, the result is good, but grain is very apparent. I usually scan negatives at 4500x3000 resolution and grain is very plainly visible, scanning at any higher res and you will see the clumps of individual dyes within the film strata. Certainly not up to par with even 11 directly captured megapixels. Dynamic range is perhaps the only aspect film still holds claim to, but it's only a matter of time until digital catches up. That said, I'm not going to give up shooting slides or b&w with my F100 anytime soon, it's just that fun! :G Well, except for that scanning part... :?

Also of note, if all manufacturers would perfect single pixel resolution as opposed to bayer interpolation (ala Foveon X3), digital would be that much better off.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 11:39 AM   #33

Rockwell doesn't jibe. He's provided evaluations of cameras and equipment without ever touching them

Rich
Rich Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 2:17 AM   #34

Steve, it is now 6 months since you posted the details of the D2X. When can we expect the full review to appear please?
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:33 PM   #35

I received my D2X on Wednesday, March 2. It was worth the long wait. I ordered it last September 17, the day after Nikon's announcement of the camera

In my opinion, it is awesome. The qualities which are particularly impressive are:

Great dynamic range, close to film. Doesn't blow out or overexpose bright areas while still maintaining great detail in shadow areas. Much like film!

Super color. specially the subtle nuances in shade in the same colors as well as different colors. My D1X and D100 were good, this one is just phenominal.

Miraculous detail, detail, detail in the pictures.

Here's a link topage one of six of my first photos. http://commodore-don.smugmug.com/gallery/444788

Thanks, Steve!

commodoredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:59 PM   #36
Administrator

cameranserai wrote:
Quote:
Steve, it is now 6 months since you posted the details of the D2X. When can we expect the full review to appear please?

When Nikon actually sends me one ... sigh!
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 9:32 AM   #37

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:10 PM   #38
DBB

UMMM?

Good post, economy of words, to the point...:-)

I was hoping you could tell me where I can get one now...

:lol:

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:51 PM   #39

Ordered mine from Ritz Camera last week, but they can only tell me they will ship it to me as soon as they get more D2x's from Nikon. I'm in no big rush, my D100 is doing great right now, specially with Nikon Capture 4.2.1... color saturation is better than ever, punchier images that look more film like But I can't say the anxiety isn't building up
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote