Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:16 PM   #1

I understand that if you point your camera in the direction ofthe sun you should get F16 and 1/125 at ISO100 when trying to determine your compensation for camera over/underexposure.

What would the equivalent be for ISO 200 be? I have an Expodisc set to arrive on Thursday and I am just trying to get a better understanding of exposure settings and what ISO does to those settings.

Damon
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:51 PM   #2

Not exactlly, in general, the sunny rule stated: in the bright sunny day, you can set the camera at F/16 and the shutter speed at the nearest ISO rating of the film, you will have most of the luck in the results, for ex: form ISO 100, the exposure should be F16 @ 1/125, with ISO 200: f/16 @ 1/250 or ISO 400: F/16 @ 1/500. But for the digital camera now-a day, you can also set the shutter speed precisely to mach the ISO value. The rule 16 is used when your camera 's meter doesn't work and you have no other choice. I always recommend you use and rely on your camera meter over any other method as along as you understand how the meter works and know how to make the adjustments for exposure compensation when nessecsary. Most built in camera meter today...they are very accurate, some cameras such as the D70, has the outstanding built in meter, the same meter Nikon used for the F5 film camera (color matrix metering), and it produces excellent results in most cases.

Here is the shot, actually you can say it almost perfect for the rule 16: camera meter recommended F/22 @ F/60 for ISO 200, I changed the value and get the final exposure at F/16 @ F/100 (assume that I have no light meter and have to use the rule 16:

http://tuan-anh-nguyen.fotopic.net/p7724799.html

Cheers

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:46 AM   #3

Just to add, the expodisc is illogically named. It's basically a fancy device to achieve nearly perfect white balance in any light setting, not to do with exposure at all (You do NOT leave the expodisc on when taking pictures).
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 6:26 PM   #4

Well, my Expodisc arrived a day earlier than I expected. Good for me since I am home all week recuperating, not too good for my incisions (I had my gall baldder removed 4 days ago).

One thing that I found today playing is that if I use the Expodisc to set WB and set f stop and shutter speed using the camera's meter but overexpose by 1/2 stop, I achieve results that are close to what you get when you set auto contrast without color change in the Nikon View Editor. Still learning though.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote