Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 23, 2004, 9:58 AM   #1

I have just started getthing into digital photography and have numerous questions that I need help with.

The first one is when I shoot at jpeg fine quality the image at full size 3008 x 2000 pixels looks grainy,I understand this is called noise in digital.If i reduce the image size to 50% then it looks quite good.I asked |Nikon about it and they said it would look like this until i have made adjustments and processed the image.No matter what I do it still looks grainy at full size.This happens under a variety of lighting situations,outdoor natural light and indoor using studio flash.Outside I shoot in program mode,indorrs I shott around 125th second at f11.

Anyone got any suggestions please

Eddie

eddiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2004, 1:48 PM   #2

Post an image, then we can all look at it and comment.
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 1:24 AM   #3

What ISO are you shooting at? With my D70, it can automatically set ISO. You should try to lower the ISO to 200. That should reduce grain. Make sure your lens is in focus too.

As mentioned, post an image and include the details of the picture (ISO, LENS, ETC...)

Stephen
sdmackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 4:10 AM   #4

Hello Stephen & Jim,

Thank you for your replies.In answer to your questions I am shooting at 200 ISO.The D100 will not go any lower than 200 ISO.The lens is a Nikon AF-SNikkor 24-85mm.Most of the time I shoot on manual focus. I am using Nikon capture4 to tidy things up and using Photoshop 7 to crop the images to print size required.I could post and image but to see the effect it needs to be as it came off the camera and would be nearly 3mb in size and I think that is a bit big for what is allowed in this forum.

Actually I spent most of yesterday telephoning a guy who shoots in digitaland running around to a local photographic printing shop as I know the owner.What I learnt was that the camera shoots at 300 dpi but a computer only shows the image at 72 dpi so I am wondering maybe the pictures are not so bad,just the monitor. I did get a 10 x 8 print done in black and white and I have to say if I got that quality off of my medium format camera I would have been well pleased.I would like to post and image for you to look at,just to get your opinions but will I go over the allowed size for posting.

Thanks for your help so far.

Eddie
eddiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 7:51 AM   #5

If you do want to post an image, all you need to do is crop one of your pictures. You can select a portion of a picture that shows the grain you are refering to. I promise we won't insult your composition, just looking at detail :-)But that should allow a small file with just the portion of the image we need to see.

What you said though about how it looks on the monitor vs printed sounds right. Your monitor is usually far larger than your prints also which has an affect. I have a 19 inch monitor, which is 11 X 14. My normal prints are 5 X 7, with the ocasional 8 X 10. You might try displaying the image in the dimensions you are planning to print and see if it shows a difference.

Regards, Jim
Jim1957 is offline   Reply With Quote