Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 23, 2004, 2:54 PM   #1

I am a DSLR newbie and have a D70 enroute to be here tomorrow. I'm looking for some tips to avoid being disappointed... but let me give you a little background. Started with a Nikon FG years ago, and a couple of lenses. When autofocus came out, we made the jump with the N6006. That has been our mainstay since then, with my wife taking most of the pics in the house... family, scenary, portraits, and a lot of highschool sports these days. I bought a Nikon Coolpix 4300 earlier this year, pirmarily to take pictures of geek items that I write reviews for... to post on a website. It had a really good macro feature compared to other digitals, so that was my main criteria... for getting close ups. I've been less than enthused with it as a digital day to day camera, and my wife basically refused to use it not being interested in learning something new.

After a lot of discussion, I determined that a digital that looked and acted like the 6006 would get better received by her, and the D70 looks to be the ticket. After I ordered it, however, I'ver started to worry that she will be frustrated (I think I'll be fine). Neither of us are real photographers to the point of getting into manual functions.. but she is not wanting to mess with anything. She wants the quality picture of the 6006, with the same amount of work. With the 6006, she basically points and shoots and gets very good pictures most of the time. The problem with online reviews, is that they are usually done by expert photographers, who's eye is way more picky than mine. Will we be able to get similar results with the D70 that we've gotten with the 6006... when running it basically on autopilot?

The next question pertains to ditching the 4300... what is a good macro lense for taking pictures of things like PDAs, on a bench? What would be a good source of lighting in that situation, as currently I either get a lot of glare from the PDA's screen... or I use flash and washout the picture (this is with the 4300)?
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:53 AM   #2

No answer on the macro lense... ?

Have the D70 now and have been delighted with it so far. I just ordered a CCD cleaning kit after doing some forum reading... figuring I'll be needing that sooner or later.

To answer my other question... so far I've been happy with the results I'm getting running on Auto or P. I've also been playing with A and S, which I rarely used on the 6006. With the DSLR, its so cool to try something... see the result... then adjust. I will learn so much more with this camera. Its also been cool to change the ISO (film speed) on the fly. I like to have natural light photos indoors, rather than flash. With some motion, it takes some tweaking for me to get a good pic... this is so much better.

convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:05 PM   #3

I wish I could give you some advice on you macro lens. There are many here who are very knowledgable .... I'm not one of them, but I'm learing . :-)

Anyway, I just wanted to say congrats on your new D70 and welcome to the forum! I hope you like it. I've had my D70 for about 6 months and I love it for many the same reasons you do. I usually shoot in P or A and like the results as well. I'm sure you're wife won't have much trouble with it. The full auto seems to do fine when you have someone who doesn't know much about the camera, but the other modes are realatively easy to figure out as I'm sure you're learning. Good luck.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 7:24 PM   #4

Hi Convergent,

I don't know much about your previous camera the 6006, but I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with the D70. I bought mine in April and it took me time to get the know the workings of it. I referenced the manual almost every day (still do). It takes some getting used to and I am still learning alot about the camera and the variety of operations. That is fine since I like to experiment and this camera gives me the ability to try different things. I know you won't be disappointed.I took some pictures of flowers with the macro lense and they came out great. Have fun and enjoy your new camera.

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote