Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:49 AM   #11

Thanks guys for all the advice. I ordere a Hoya filter... went with the higher end double coated one I think it was. I actually almost killed the lense already this weekend... walking through the house with it and someone opened our basement door and the door knob just barely missed smacking the glass of the lense head-on! I am going to be very careful until that filter gets here....

And, I removed the hood after a few photos indoors with the halo from the built-in flash. I'm going to be getting and SB-800 soon... then I can leave the hood on.

convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:31 AM   #12

Nadia, the spots at the top (Spongebob's air bubbles) are flare halos and not dust, however - take a closer look at the left of the picture, above the powerlines in the background. That looks like dust to me... :sad:
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:45 AM   #13

Onyx wrote:
Quote:
Nadia, the spots at the top (Spongebob's air bubbles) are flare halos and not dust, however - take a closer look at the left of the picture, above the powerlines in the background. That looks like dust to me... :sad:
That's true. It looks like dust to me too. Oh well, you're doing better than me. I currently only have 1 lens and somehow I still have about 3 or 4 spots .... I guess that's what they make the clone stamp in PS for though
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:45 PM   #14

Wow, Onyx you havea good eye because I thougt I was in the clear. Just like mdparker I only use one lens, I guess I joined thespot party. I never noticed that. It is easy to clone out if I need to. I will wait until I get a few more before I take it in for a cleaning. Well, there could be worse things.:lol:

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 4:01 AM   #15

There's another dust spot I noticed - near the bottom. Just left of the girl, above the sign on the inflatable castle.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 6:03 PM   #16

Onyx wrote:
Quote:
There's another dust spot I noticed - near the bottom. Just left of the girl, above the sign on the inflatable castle.
I see it Onyx, do you think I should take it and get it clean? Can a good camera place do the cleaning without sending it out? I don't want to attempt cleaning since my luck I will add more dust. I looked at other pics and did not see it. You are rightthey arethere, do they move around?

Nadia
Old Sep 28, 2004, 7:54 PM   #17

I wouldn't be surprised if the dust can move some due to the movement of the mirror. Personally, if you only have 2 spots right now, I wouldn't worry about finding a store to clean it just yet as your bound to get more. In the meantime, the dust is easy to clone out. Also, I have noticed that the dust spots don't show in all pictures. I know where to look for the dust in my pictures, but it usually donesn't show up except in pictures I took outside.

As far as places to have the ccd cleaned, I know a Nikon authorized shop can do it in just a few minutes. I'm sure other places can do it if you have any good camera stores in your area.

Michael
Old Sep 28, 2004, 9:26 PM   #18

^^ What Michael said. I think it's too much of a hassle to send back to Nikon just for a clean (unless you live close to their service centre), your local trusted camera store should be able to clean it if you're worried.

The dust shouldn't move from shot to shot. Only the much bigger hairy particles tend to shift from my experience. But their visibilily is greatly reduced if you use larger apertures. If you have the camera in auto, it will only select a small aperture (and hence higher chance of showing dust in your pictures) when there is plenty of bright sunlight, and these tend to be more outdoors/landscape type shots.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 4:58 PM   #19

Thanks Onyx and Michael,

I think I am going to let it go for now. It wasn't until I started shooting in auto in the bright sun that I noticed the dust. I guess it is the nature of the beast.

Have a good day and night,

Nadia
Old Sep 29, 2004, 6:34 PM   #20

Nadia wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Onyx and Michael,

I think I am going to let it go for now. It wasn't until I started shooting in auto in the bright sun that I noticed the dust. I guess it is the nature of the beast.

Have a good day and night,

Nadia
Like you say.... it's the nature of the beast ... but's it's a bummer isn't it :-)