Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:01 AM   #1

Hi all,

I need a little input on buying a polarizer filter to fit a Nikon DX18-70mm lens for my D70. I'm trying to decide between a Hoya (HMC) multi coated or an (S-HMC) super multicoated - thin. I believe the S-HMC has more coats and they promote it for wide angle lenses to prevent vignetting.

I know the 18-70 lens already has a certain amount of vignetting as it is so I don't want to add more to it. Knowing this, would getting the S-HMC be a better way to go or is my lens at the wide side not wide enough to even worry about additional vignetting from a filter.

Thanks for the input. It's only a $10 differece, but I plan on getting some other filters and don't want to waste money if it's not going to make a differece in quality.

Thanks

Michael
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2004, 6:25 PM   #2

SHMC - not for the vignetting issue, but for better flare control from the coatings. The times when you would use a CPL filter is when the sun is perpendicular to the camera lens, and this has the potential for light to 'leak in' at the sides.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 9:26 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Onyx. What you say makes sense. I'm definitely going to get the SHMC for my Polarizer then. I want to get a few ND filters as well. So if I understand you right, I don't need to worry about the thins for them, only the multicoating for flaring, etc.

Thanks

Michael
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:14 PM   #4

Michael, you can also use a CPL as a makeshift ND filter - most of them shed a consistent 1.5 to 2 stops of light.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 12:52 PM   #5

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. I've went ahead and ordered a SHMC polarizer, but I'm putting buying an ND on hold for the time being. I mainly want an ND for shooting water to make it silky looking. For that effect, do you have any recommendations as to what ND factor (i.e .6, .9) I should buy. Have you tried stacking them with luck ... i.e. no vigneting?

Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2004, 3:07 PM   #6

I have an ND4 for that very purpose - waterfalls.

When you get get your CPL, see how it performs as an ND. I'm fairly sure it'll work well.

Stacking filters is usually not recommended but we all know everybody does it. :-) Slight vignetting may be visible at 18mm, but once you're at 24 it largely goes away.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:40 PM   #7

Cool. Once again thanks for your help. My polarizer is supposed to arrive later this week and I can hardly wait to start playing with it.