Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 29, 2004, 9:52 PM   #1

I just purchased the PHOENIX RL-59N ringlight which supposes to be compatible with the D2H, but the flash won't fire with several flash settings I tried. The red flash symbol in the view finder keeps flashing. I also tried manual mode plus etc. with no luck.
Any help will be appreciated.
I forgot to mention that the flash itself works because when I push the test button on the unit, the flash fires. Also, once the flash is on the D2H the shutter will change to 1/60 whenever I turn the flash switch to ON.

Tanasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2004, 12:57 PM   #2

This may sound like a dumb question but it's not. Do you have the ring-light cable connected to the hot shoe of the camera. If so, do you have the the hot shoe connector oriented properly (if it will fit two ways)? I don't think the D2H has an internal flash but if it does, make sure it is closed.

That's all that I can think of without knowing more about both the camera and the flash.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:16 PM   #3

The flash has a built in contacts on the base that will mate with the contacts on the body when attached, so no cable with hot shoe required. There is however a cable running from the flash body to the ring which is permanent.

The camera detects the flash because it change the shutter speed to 60 whenever I turn the flash on but it just can't fire the flash.

I email the flash company but stil no reply.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:08 PM   #4

I was thinking it needed to be i-TTL or d-TTL to work with the d2h to fire corectly, but wait.. you said it would nor fire at all... hmmm.. will do some checking .. Dale
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 11:07 PM   #5

This is the featutre of the flash:

With unbelievable power for the price, the RL-59 series of ringlight flashes from Phoenix delivers. Made for each specific autofocus camera, they give full TTL metering to allow accurate exposures of closeup subjects. When shooting at extremely short distances, relatively minor movement of lighting and subject results in relatively large changes of exposure. Shooting quick-moving subjects in rapidly changing conditions becomes an exercise in dependency on film latitude. TTL metering eliminates the need for lengthy calculations of exposure, because the inherent loss of light at macro distances can automatically be accounted with ease.