Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 9, 2002, 9:15 PM   #1

Default Windows XP file explorer sluggish

Hi Folks,

Not sure this is the right forum for this question, but I honestly looked around and couldn't find a better one. Suggestions are welcome...

Here goes...

Is anyone else experiencing performance problems with Windows XP home edition, when navigating through directories and sub directories that are filled with lots of digital images?

When I go into a sub directory containing, say, 40 pictures, it takes about a minute before I can select a file and do anything with it. The operating system seems to be getting hung up while trying to display the contents of the folder.

I have a very fast processor (1.8gHz), lots of RAM (512), a huge hard drive (120 GB), 64 MB video card, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Also, it seems to be getting worse as I add more photos, particularly the very large ones that I'm now shooting with my D100.

I have about 3.3 GB of images (about 3,600 images in 200 folders).

I have indexing turned off in the Search control panel. (I've tried it with indexing turned on, and it was no better). I usually display the images in my directories as thumbnails (rather than as a list, detailed list, filmstrip, etc)

I also have about 20GB of digital music on that same computer, and there isn't ever a problem navigating through those directories and sub directories.

Any suggestions? Is there a simple tweak that I'm missing?

Thanks,

Mike
msommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2002, 11:17 PM   #2

it is trying to rebuild your thumbnails. it doesn't cache thumbnails like acdsee. its trying to save your hd space. your telling to show me 200+ images asap.

if your holding 3+gb of images on your computer you trust your HD a whole lot. i suggest you start to offload those images to nonvolitile media for safe keeping. should a issue occur and your HD be damaged or crash your not going to be a happy puppy.

what sise is your drive?

do you have your drive partitioned off into multiple drives?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2002, 11:18 PM   #3

it is trying to rebuild your thumbnails. it doesn't cache thumbnails like acdsee. its trying to save your hd space. your telling to show me 200+ images asap.

if your holding 3+gb of images on your computer you trust your HD a whole lot. i suggest you start to offload those images to nonvolitile media for safe keeping. should a issue occur and your HD be damaged or crash your not going to be a happy puppy.

what size is your drive?

do you have your drive partitioned off into multiple drives?
Old Oct 9, 2002, 11:51 PM   #4

excuse the double up. the forum is acting very strange this evening.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 9:03 AM   #5

Default Backups

I have backups of all my photos on CD Rom. (thanks for the suggestion, though!)

But, I like to keep them on my hard drive too... So I can show people photos from a couple years ago without having to pull out CD Roms.

Last night I went in and converted all of the directories and subdirectories in the My Pictures folder, so that they now show the "detailed list" of the folder contents (rather than filmstrip or thumbnails). That seemed to help the performance quite a bit, but I do still see a delay as the computer tries to draw the icons for each file. Plus, it's soooo much easier to find the picture you're looking for when you can see the actual thumbnail..

;-(

m
msommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2002, 9:06 AM   #6

then go to using acdsee 5 or another that caches the thumbnails. it will just use mor of your hd space saving the little images.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 9:05 PM   #7

I agree with sjms. I use Thumbsplus for this prupose and it is very fast.

Amother approach is too break up your files ointo smaller sets, in different subfolders off of the MyPhotos.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote