Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 10, 2002, 11:13 PM   #1

Default To buy or not to buy?

Well, folks, it's time for me to move up in the world. For the past year I've been using the Nikon CP 995 and I've been reasonably happy with. But now I need a new challenge. I have my sights set on two Nikon products: The Nikon 5700 or the Nikon D100. The 5700 will do just fine, but for a few hundred dollars more I can buy the D100, so I'm very tempted to do buy the latter. What would you do?
Steve Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2002, 12:48 AM   #2

d100...no doubt about it!

but hey bet the prices will go down due to all the new dslr coming out...

so if you can wait?
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 8:58 AM   #3

Yes, I can wait, but what are the inherent advantages of Digital/SLR versus conventional digital....in this case...the Nikon 5700 versus the D100? Is image quality that much better with the D100?
Old Oct 11, 2002, 9:07 AM   #4
NHL

There's no doubt that a D100 will produce a better picture; however there'll be a weight penalty as well as a steeper depreciation... If you afford (or justify) go for it!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 10:10 AM   #5

Default D100 is a tool 5700 is a toy

I bought my D100 about 2 weeks ago. (upgraded from a Coolpix 990).

At the time I was considering the Minolta Dimage 7Hi and the Coolpix 5700. The D100 just seemed out of my price range.

I went into a local camera shop and there were some Nikon reps there, with cameras and accessories littering the counter top.

I took sample pictures with the 5700, the Dimage, and then, just for kicks, the D100.

It took my about 3 clicks to decide on the D100.

To put it simply, the D100 felt (and behaved) like a well-built tool, and the 5700 seemed like a toy in comparison. Since I want to get serious with photography, I figured if I went with the 5700, I'd just be upgrading in a year anyway. (Not like I won't be upgrading anyway, but that's a different story ;-).

If you get a chance, try them both out, you'll see what I mean.

Now, a little bit about my D100 experience thus far... (btw, I also bought the 28-105 zoom lens and an extra battery with it).

I've taken about 1000 pictures with the D100 so far, and I feel like I'm just beginning to learn the particular characteristics of this camera. The Coolpix 990 that I was used to was extremely reliable, predictable and EASY TO USE.

The D100 is not so easy to use out of the box (a fact that has disappointed many folks in this forum and in other forums), but just like any other fine tool (I'm an avid woodworker), the more you work with it, the more you learn how to use it, and the more you come to appreciate some of its peculiarities.

First, the battery and charger that come with it are awesome. Coming from the CP 995, you will be amazed that this battery just goes and goes and goes. The battery meter on the camera is not "excellent," but it's pretty good, and a helluvalot better than the CP 990. Besides... the battery lasts so darn long it almost doesn't matter.

The built in flash is adequate indoors in low light if you increase the flash compensation AND increase the exposure compensation.. I know, I know... a lot of people say that the built in flash in a camera of this caliber should be able to produce adequate results without making those adjustments, but hey, it is what it is, and once you figure that out you'll start having more fun (and taking better pictures!).

An external flash is next on my list of things to buy...

The Auto Program mode on the D100 has not produced great results for me, either indoors or outdoors. Almost all of my pictures have come out underexposed (which, honestly isn't the end of the world, since you can fix the levels in Photoshop pretty easily). Fussing around with exposure compensation has helped, but I've found that just setting the camera to full manual mode has really made the most difference (and forced me to learn how to use the darn camera in the process!)

In the end, I would recommend the D100. In full Manual mode it produces amazing pictures.

Here is a link to some of my most recent photos, taken at a music festival in Virginia (yes, that's Bruce Hornsby on the Baldwin Grand piano).

http://www.sinfin.com/haymaker/index.html

-Mike
msommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 10:20 AM   #6

msommers, your link is broken or something...cannot connect
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 11:02 AM   #7

I had coolpix 950 & 995 but i giave to my cousin in Alaska. I bought Nikon D1H. I loved it. Of course, D1X is great but so expensive! I was not sure D100 myself.

Why do I pick D1H because high speed action. Of course right now D1X will upgrade new RAM for buffers, Now I am jealous. ha

Yuppie, there is new D2 series come soon but I believe next Feb. 2003 or later, who know?

Ok, why I dont want coolpix because I prefer is different lenses, i want and great image than coolpix digital zoom because of bad distort or blurr. Also, contineous frames, it take few sec missing between action vs D1H has fast less than 1 sec!

Well, Pro Digital SLRs are great than cheap digital cameras, of course expenisve for lenses & flash you need.

Good Luck for decide buy or wait for low price for D1 series when D2 series release.

Polar Bear look for fres fish.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 2:55 PM   #8

Default Won't let me edit

Sorry about that broken link... and this message board program won't let me edit my earlier post.

So here it is again:

http://www.sinfin.com/haymaker/
msommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 3:50 PM   #9

nice concert images
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2002, 4:46 PM   #10

Default Thanksm

Msommers, thanks for your input and your in depth discussion on the D100. You've really been a great help. I too was considering the Dimage 7Hi, but narrowed it down to the 5700 or D100.
NHL, what do you mean about the depreciation being steeper with the D100 versus the 5700? I would have thought the the opposite.