Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 10, 2004, 2:45 PM   #1

I can't believe what happed at a 50 year old party for my cousin, I noticed all my pictures coming out dark.:shock: The hall was a golden color, but it was not that dark. Some of the pictures were totally blacked out. The flash would flash, although I think it missed at times. I was on program so I could get red eye reduction and I had a EV of +.3. My iso was on 200 (No auto) and my WB on automatic. I was in a panic so I removed the SB-800 and used the built in light which helped but I needed more light and I ended up with red eye. I did notice the ready light was not coming on, so I changed the batteries todayand took more pictures and they were dark again. I don't know if I changed a setting while trouble shooting, now I am getting decent pictures. I was able to save some pictures through editing sofeware (niKon capture and microsoft picture it). I am not sure ifthe extra batteries would have helped since after I changed them today the picutres were still dark. I am glad they were not expecting me to bring my camera and take pictures, so I am sure they will be happy with what they get.

I hope that never happens again. I am ready the manual again for both the camera and SB-800.

Nadia:whack:
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:11 PM   #2

I'm sorry I've been in similar situations where you feel you'll get some good one's and they all stink. I'm trying to think of what would cause your problem and I'm drawing a blank. Please let us know what you find though as I'd be interested in knowing the cause .... hopefully 1 less mistake I could avoid
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 10:16 PM   #3

Dear mdparker,

I am going crazy with what could have gone wrong. I sent an email to Nikon explaining what happened. It seems fine now, I took some pictures in a dark room and objects showed up well.

Thanks, I will let everyone know if I find out. It was probably something stupid that I did. Obviously, I can't figure it out.:lol:

Take Care,

Nadia
Old Oct 11, 2004, 8:57 AM   #4

When I first got My 8700 I had the problem of the pictures being OK on My Camera viewer but so dark on My Computer Monitor they could hardly be viewed until I made them lighter in Photoshop. I E-Mailed Nikon and they put Me on to one of their downloads to install a Nikon program to reset My computer Monitor. It has been perfect ever since. I since purchased A D-100 and I have no problems with viewing at all with either camera.I can also view the files off of My friends D-70 with no problems.
When You were shooting, What aperture and shutter speed was Your camera using to capture the picture? You can see what Your camera did using Your Capture software. I always shoot using shutter prefered and let the aperture set itself. 125/f3.5 is perfect every time in a normaly lit room. I can reset My shutter down to as low as 1/30th with my 120/24 "VR" lens if I have to, And still handhold and get tach sharp pictures.
Let us know how You make out. The D-70 is a very good camera and it has a very,"VERY" thick book to read. I'm sure the answer to your problem will be in that thick manual.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:48 AM   #5

Hi Nadia,

I had a similar problem and it was caused by the batteries that need to be recharded.

Luc
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 6:25 PM   #6

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
When I first got My 8700 I had the problem of the pictures being OK on My Camera viewer but so dark on My Computer Monitor they could hardly be viewed until I made them lighter in Photoshop. I E-Mailed Nikon and they put Me on to one of their downloads to install a Nikon program to reset My computer Monitor. It has been perfect ever since. I since purchased A D-100 and I have no problems with viewing at all with either camera.I can also view the files off of My friends D-70 with no problems.
When You were shooting, What aperture and shutter speed was Your camera using to capture the picture? You can see what Your camera did using Your Capture software. I always shoot using shutter prefered and let the aperture set itself. 125/f3.5 is perfect every time in a normaly lit room. I can reset My shutter down to as low as 1/30th with my 120/24 "VR" lens if I have to, And still handhold and get tach sharp pictures.
Let us know how You make out. The D-70 is a very good camera and it has a very,"VERY" thick book to read. I'm sure the answer to your problem will be in that thick manual.
Hi Ronnie,

I went into capture and I was surprised to find that I had a -.7 EV. Here is the sequence of events based on the information I pulled from capture.

1. I started in aperture mode at 4.5 with no exposure compensation. Flash mode in AA. I have to find out if I should be using that. There is another mode A (I don't think I should be using that). That picture was okay, somewhat dark.

2. I took severalpictures and onecame out very dark, so I switched to program,EV 0and changed the flash toTTL. Still some what dark so I changed to automatic.

3. Pictures still some what dark so I switched to program again, but some way the EV was set to -.3, remember I did not check this. I had someone take a picture of my family and I and I think it happened at that point.

4. The next picture I took showed a EV of -.7. I am seeingvery dark pictures and go back to auto mode. Pictures are still dark but better (b/c I don't have the -.7 EV). Then I get three pictures that are very very dark. I switched to the built in flash.

5. I was concerned about red eye so I went back to program and I am still at EV -.7 because I had no clue that was set. Very dark so back to auto. I went back to my speed light and I would get some dark and some okay pictures. I do believe my batteries were low and I was not recharged when I took the next picture.

6. I went back to auto and removed the speed light. Of course in a some what dark hall the built in light is not going to cut it.

It looks like all user error, me, including the battery problem.:sad: I learned a lesson with this and I am very humble to all this. Next time I will take a time out and check my settings. I believe in Murphy's law, if it is going to happen it will. I never tried using shutter priority. I use aperture priorityand set at F4.5-5.

I hope this wasn't too boring.:yawn:

Thanks for your help.

Nadia

Old Oct 12, 2004, 8:48 PM   #7

Glad you found your cause. I've done similar before. I still don't always check my settings before each shoot session, but I try to remember .... it's burnt me more than once by not looking.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:39 PM   #8

Hi mdparker,

How do like that on, boy did I spin a web. I am glad to know it has happened to others. From now on I will do a settings check and take extra batteries.Have a good night.

Nadia