Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:28 AM   #11

OK...re-read your last reply. I definitely need the 2.8 for ALL in door shooting. Even higher light situations like a college basketball game...right? Will this same lens work for my outdoor sports/ high movement shots? Sorry to be a pain with all the questions. I just hate to buy a product and regret it. I'd rather buy the RIGHT one the 1st time. Thanks again for all your help. I will be calling around and visiting local shops soon. I did notice that even the old versions of the 2.8 lenses are priced like gold on e-bay.

Anthony
brandofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:27 AM   #12

Let's get this clear - all lenses will work outdoors but it is indoors that will count. Only F2.8 or thereabouts will work indoors. An F2.8 lens will just use a smaller aperture to reduce the amount of light let into the camera outdoors compared to a lens with F6.3 like the Sigma. Now I think you and I must be looking at different Ebays somehow - the lowest price I find is in Germany, in good condition without fault, at about $180. In Australia it is $500 Australian, which isn't much either. If you must buy new then OK, but there is a great one in the USA (second hand)for sale at $650. But, there is a Sigma 70/200 F2.8 lens which would be great, especially since it is the latest series, for sale in the USA on Ebay at $500 and another at $575, both of which would be exactly what you need. The cheapest Nikon equivalent is nearly double the price, so I would go for it. Buy the D70 with the kit lens, and the Sigma 70/200 and you will have change from $1,800 and all the kit you will need for the circumstances you describe.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:46 PM   #13

Thank you again for the info. I hate sounding like I'm beating adead horse. I don't mean to. And you've been so informative and very patient w/ me. What are you typing in to do your e-bay search? I can not seem to find any of the deals you're finding. Should I be adding "used" to my search? Thanks again. I am not opposed to used lenses. I just can not find them on e-bay.

Anthony
Old Oct 16, 2004, 2:51 AM   #14

All I'm typing is Nikon 80 - 200 and it comes up with plenty, including Nikon fit Sigma. I have just typed Sigma 70/200 and it found plenty straight away
Old Oct 16, 2004, 8:12 AM   #15

I vou are in France, is it possible you're on the french version of e-bay and that for some reason you get different hits. Could you cut and past me the links to some of the better deals you have found?
Old Oct 16, 2004, 8:37 AM   #16

I used Ebay USA for the search, not Ebay France, but in any case when you search on Ebay you can use the worldwide search facility rather than just the USA. Try this link and see the lenses I found. Clicking on it doesn't seem to work so cut and paste into your browser. Failing which go to www.Ebay.com and tap Sigma 70/200 into the search criteria.

http://search.ebay.com/sigma-70-200_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZsigm aQ2070/200
Old Oct 16, 2004, 8:39 AM   #17

Now that I've posted the link does work. Just click on it and you will see plenty of lenses for sale
Old Oct 16, 2004, 7:00 PM   #18

Is this the newer version?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...17361&rd=1

If not how do I tell? Is EX newer version than ED?

Anthony
Old Oct 17, 2004, 4:36 PM   #19

Ye Gods! Look, like all of us I am here to help, but please do your own research. I see you have been pursuing this thread in several places at the same time as well as posting advice elsewhere. You started out by asking simple advice which I have given. Then you ask for more advice which, if you actually read a little yourself is readily available. Look, I don't wish to be rude here but there are some things yoy can do for yourself, like looking at the Sigma site, looking at the Steves Digicam site throughout, and then making your own decisions like the rest of us. If you want advice or research on Nikon lenses then look at the following:-

http://www.bythom.com/nikon.htm

MurphyC has posted enough on the Sigma lenses for you and advised on the Nikon lenses. Quite simply it is time to make up your own mind, based on the advice given, on what you want to buy. I have, after much patience, shown you the Sigma lenses available on Ebay. One you suggest is patently available only to purchase at the stated price. I suggest you post your bid and buy the best available, like the rest of us.

I wish you the best in your quest, but in this matter I consider, regrettably, the matter closed
Old Oct 17, 2004, 6:05 PM   #20

First off, I only post on that which I have experience. Is that wrong? Sorry to upset you. 2nd I have been reading, and getting more confused. 3rd, if you would have suggested that site previously I could have read somethings there. 4th, I have read reviews, and although they are most times useful, I would rather hear from some folks with experience other thana reviewer. Sorry to continue this thread w/ you, but you seemed willing to help. If I bothered you by asking multiple questions you could have stopped answering much earlier. I have very little experience w/ this DSLR info or w/ any SLR info. I thought you where a friendly party who enjoyed sharing your knowledge. Sorry to have been a bother. You need not reply.