Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2004, 12:00 AM   #1

I'm strongly leaning towards a Nikon D70. Upgrading from Olympus C-700 UZ. I'm looking for quicker reaction times (no shutter lag) and quick bursts. This leads to my question. I take ALOT of action shots, baseball (outdoors of course) and my daughter dancing (both inside, low light, and outside, natural light) I'm thinking of buying the kit lens as a starter. But what about a lens for the action shots? IWILL be needing to zoom in. That is why I bought the C-700 in the 1st place (10x optical zoom). I'm a poor teacher and do not have a ton to spend. I've read about the Sigma 28-300 and see it's smallest, numerical, apeture setting is 3.5 up to 6.3. ($230) I've also read about the Nikon 28-200 G, but this is much more expensive. Any suggestions in the $200-$300 range? Or am I too low priced for the shots I plan on taking? Should I skip the kit lens and save the $200-$250 for the zoomier lens?

One more question...where can I get this stuff under retail? Most of the reviews of the online stores are not good to say the least.

Thanks for any advice.
brandofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:22 PM   #2

We all tend to think of buying new, but there are superb bargains out there second hand too. For action sport I would look for the 80/200 F2.8 Nikkor if you buy the D70. I have had it for years and while I also have the new 70/200 VRIFED I tried it recently on the D70 and it works just fine. I have seen them on Ebay for as little as $150 too. Being F2.8 throughout it will allow you to take good shots in low light without flash, and will of course be equivalent to a 120/300 lens on a digital camera. Then you can crop and enlarge with no real image quality loss too.

For indoor use you will need the SB800 flash, much more powerful than the SB600 with many more features for about $50 difference - well worth it.

As regards a basic kit, I would buy the D70 with the kit lens, but getting a discount is going to be hard. The backlog of orders is only now being sorted and I still think it will be a while before good discounts are available. Indeed, I would be wary of any dealer offering a discount at the moment.I would point you in the direction of 17th St Photo or B & H, both Nikon dealers, whose reputations are impeccable. You'll see when you check their ratings.

Best of luck in your search.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:33 PM   #3

2.8 throughout...I assume that means same apature at all zoom ranges. Is that good? I'm not really up to date on this info. To me it sounds better than a lens that increases F value as you zoom. Does 2.8 throughout mean faster? I got the idea that 80-200 digital = 120-300 film cam. How does 80-200 equate compared to my old 10x optical zoom? I'm not clear on that type of ratio yet. Is 2.8 on the 80-200, much faster and better for low light than the 3.5-6.3 on the 28-300 Sigma I read about?

Oh, by the way, a flash for the dancing pics is not a possibility. They are theater/performance venues. No flash allowed. Does this mean I need to go even lower on the F #. Someone mentioned a 50/1.8 lens, Nikon I think, then cropping. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 3:03 PM   #4

Searched for the 80/200 F2.8 Nikkor. $775 is a bit out of my range for now. I can hardly afford the new camera. Any other suggestions. Is the 2.8 a must for the theater shots w/o flash? In your opinion.

I was hoping to spend $200-$300. Is the Sigma 28-300 F3.5-6.3 a possiblity for my needs? I can afford the $230.

Anthony
Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:30 AM   #5

The lower the aperture rating st the long end of the zoom the more light is entering the lens, giving better pictures and indoors you are going to need this. $775 for the 80/200 will be for a new lens, and I suggest you phone a few Nikon camera dealers to see if they have one 2nd hand or buy a magazine or two. There are a lot about.

The Sigma lens will not be of any use at all indoors since it will reduce the aperture to F6.3 when you zoom, giving very little light. I see that no flash is allowed, so your only option is to search around for a decent second hand lens like I have intimated. Were you to buy the Sigma you would just be wasting your money - it won't do the job you want it to.

I have searched Ebay today and see lenses much cheaper than you are stating from just over $100 upwards. I suggest you refine your search and look again. I reitierate that you will get no success from the other Sigma, you need a F2.8 throughout at least to get indoor photos without flash
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:10 PM   #6

OK...I got the 2.8 throughout idea down. I NEED this for the low light indoor stuff. Will this work well in an outdoor or higher light indoor situation. Such as a college basketball game or outdoor baseball game? It was suggested a Sigma APO Macro Zoom II 70-300 /4-5.6, would be better than the sigma 28-300 due to the lower Max apature. But if I could buy one lens and get the most use, that would be best.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check e-bay and the local camera shops later.

Anthony
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:34 PM   #7

So I searched e-bay and found this one.

Nikon 80-200mm 80-200 ED f2.8 f/2.8 AF

It says "ED" Some of the others say "S" and the sellers state that the "S" is far superior. The prices, for the "S",are $600-900. Is the "ED" a good choice but a lower cost lens?

Anthony

Old Oct 14, 2004, 5:07 AM   #8

The S lenses are the Silent Wave technology, much newer and yes better at auto focusing, but don't let that put you off the older lenses. The only problem with the older ones is that the barrel turns when focusing, so if you have a polaroid filter on the end you are constantly adjusting it as the lens focuses. The later lenses focus internally, which is more convenient, not necessarily producing better results. It is the same glass on both lenses. If you can run to an S lens, so much the better, but if your budget is limited go for one of the others, a good second hand one. Lenses in this class are usually bought by enthusiasts who look after their equipment so their are not usually any worries. Mine I have had 10 years and it is spotless for example.To recap;

If the lens is represented as ED this is the oldest of the lenses

If the lens is marked as IFED this meand Internal Focusing as explained above

If the lens is S, then this is the last of this range of lenses and consequently the newest type. Remember that with the introduction of the 70/200VRIFED the 80/200 is obsolete, and should be for sale, as I have said before, quite cheaply, but none the worse for that
Old Oct 14, 2004, 6:52 PM   #9

Thanks for all the help. Pls check out this deal, and let me know what you think.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...132052#content

I know I'm not getting the kit lens, but it seems I'm getting the rest of the kit "stuff" plus 2 lenses, both new. Are these decent lenses?

I also know I'd still need the 2.8 for indoor low light, but right now here dance company is doing college 1/2 times...well lit although still indoors. Seems the zoom they are selling me is similar if not the same as one suggested by another user, for his action/well lit shots.

Thanks again
Old Oct 15, 2004, 3:26 AM   #10

A typical Ritz advert - gives you loads of words without the specifics. I had to look at the Sigma site to get the real details. The 28/80 lens is F3.5/5.6 and the 70/300 F4/5.6. You are going to be struggling indoors at F5.6 with no flash, even if you push the ISO rating, in which case you'll get noisy pictures which won't look good.

However, I have alreadygiven my advice on an indoor lens, whether it be Sigma, Tamron or Nikon - it should be F2.8 throughout for indoor shooting. Before you buy, check out bizrate for advice on Ritz cameras, B & H or 17th St. I know where my moneywouldn't be spent.

http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--30232.html

http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--25514.html

http://www.bizrate.com/ratings_guide...id--21042.html