Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 15, 2004, 8:43 PM   #1

Dear Forum,

The SB-800 has a A and AA mode. Which do I set? Also, when using aperture mode on the camera what do I set the SB-800 on? When do I use bounce. I tried it and part of my picture was brighter.

Thanks,

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:01 PM   #2

Bounce is good for indoor pictures to soften the light and eliminate red eye. The light from a bounce looks more pleasing then a harsh direct straight on flash. However, you generally can only use bounce on normal ceilings (no vaulted ceilings) and on white. If the ceiling has color to it, the bounced light will give the picture a color cast.

You may find this link of interest to you. It is a test with a Nikon flash in different positions showing the effect that the flash has on the subjects.

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...dy-bear-1.html

As far as A or AA, I'm not sure. I need to pull ouf my flash manual and study it again ... I don't use it that often.

Michael
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:15 PM   #3

Hi Michael,

Thanks, I am still reading the SB-800 manual. I will look at your link.

Have a good evening,

Nadia
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:23 PM   #4

Well, let me know what you find out about the A or AA. It'll save me the reading :-) ... Least for awhile. Have a good evening as well.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 11:12 PM   #5

A and AA are the non-TTL methods of auto flash. Out of the two, I suggest using AA on the D70, as the aperture value set on the lens is automatically transferred to the flash. In A mode, it works similarly except you enter your lens aperture manually on the SB800's rear LCD (why make your life harder if the camera can do this for you?)

In these modes, the flash exposure is determined by a light sensor on the flash unit itself, rather than the camera's meter.

I personally try to use AA mode as much as possible when the flash is the main source of light. I find it gives more consistent exposures than in TTL mode. I revert to TTL-BL for outdoor fill, with -1.3FV dialed in to render the presence of flash undetectable (it pleasantly reduces contrast and takes care of shadows).

One word of warning however - because the flash exposure is determined by a simple light sensor, there is a slim chance of other people's flash interfering with the exposure of your images. Say you're in a paparrazzi line up - if another photographer's flash fires simultaneously as yours, aimed at the same subject that you're shooting, the flash sensor might opt shut off earlier as it senses sufficient light on the subject (not knowing it's from another flash) and render your image underexposed.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 9:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the input Onyx. I never would have guessed that A and AA were both non-ttl. It's pretty obvious I need to start reading my book again

Michael
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:23 AM   #7

Dear Onyx,

I am glad you put that to rest because I read the manual and still did not understand. :?Although experimenting between both settings, my pictures were very dark in A mode. Also, I now know why some of my pictures taken indoors with the SB-800 were dark. I noticed that pictures taken with the built in flash have a shadow on the bottom so I want to use my SB-800 for most indoor pictures.

Thanks,

Nadia
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:24 AM   #8

mdparker wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input Onyx. I never would have guessed that A and AA were both non-ttl. It's pretty obvious I need to start reading my book again

Michael

Hi Michael,

You are right there are so many little details that can trip you up. Also, my bounce pictures were awful because the ceilings were very high and a dark brown. Thanks for all your help.

Nadia