Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:24 AM   #1

Hi everybody, I know D70 lens questions are everywhere but I just can't find the answer I am looking for. I have an old nikon SLR N50 and since money was a little tight right now, I wanted to buy the D70 body and slap my old lens that came with the standard n50. It is the normal, standard lens that came with the camera.

Thanks for any help!!
DReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2004, 6:10 PM   #2

If it's an autofocus lens odds are it should work without a problem. It may or may not be a cpu type lens, but in that case the only draw back would be the inability to use matrix metering or relaying distance information to an external speedlight (SB-600/800 for example). Look at the lens barrel and see if there are markings like (for example) AF Nikkor 28-85mm 1:3.5-4.5 D, where "D" at the end means it's a cpu lens that relays distance information.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 2:40 AM   #3

Thanks alot...I will check it out!

So again, if it is not a cpu lens, but it IS auto focus, it should work and be OK till I get a better lens? OR, am I wasting the D70 with a bad lens??

Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:00 AM   #4

You won't be wasting anything, as a matter of fact you'll be putting that lens to good use.. I hope :-) Just remember that with non cpu lensesyou won't be able to use 3D matrix metering, only center weight and spot meterings.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:04 AM   #5

Great! Thanks alot. I was really battling over whether or not to get the Rebel kit for $700 or the D70 BODY for $700. Now...it's not even a contest! Of course, the D80/D70II will probably come out a day after I receive it. =)

Just curious, there aren't any more sub $1000 dSLR's coming out soon right?
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:21 AM   #6

I guess no new camera's huh? =)

Quick question: a D70 with my old n50 lens or the retail Canon Rebel (with the kit lens)? Same price in my book...actually the nikon might be a tad cheaper.

Thanks!